Photoshop needs a long awaited major overhaul

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do things in other software that is absolutely much faster or does not take any time to load at all or are vastly more complex then anything photoshop does taht do in it in a fraction of a second.

The old limits in photshop are becoming annoying, I am using a super fast computer better then anything I have used in my life (been using photoshop since I was 13) yet a 5000px brush is still relatively slow and a limit. I cannot phatom that I am currently working in 32.000 x 10.000 px files and that I cannot have a 30.000 px brush.

It is also rediculous how many features stop working or slow down to a crawl at this size.

When I swith to 256 GB RAM I want to be able to do 32-64 bit files at 50.000 x 17.000 px without a sweat, which I fear is nowhere near possible even though we are in 2022 and in 2012 all these settings and features worked at the exact same performance level.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the typos I cannot edit it seems.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to request a way more complex and adjustable brush system with an ability to change the grdient in hardness level and the ability to amke brushes feel a lot more computationaly complex in order for them to feel more fluid rather then static, which I do not believe is currently possible a t the level I desire it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also seem to not be able to use the capacity of my nvme ssd to save files faster, they save about equally as fast as with an HDD which is slow and since I am making 10+GB files this might take 10 minutes yet in Blender 3D I am pretty sure I could save 10GB in a second maybe 10

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also don't know why there is no saving queue and once a save is started on a single file I have to wait those 10 minutes before I can click again.

There used to be a ram flush option something with the about or help tab and some shift pressing and cllciking, but that no longer works, I consistenly find that after opening a couple files I need to reopen photoshop because the ram never flushes when a file is closed, this slows done my whole experience. And no every answer to this problem you can find on this forum is wrong, photoshop does not remove ram that is in memory when a new file is opened and an old one closed. this has been happening for many years.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Brecht Corbeel wrote:

I also don't know why there is no saving queue and once a save is started on a single file I have to wait those 10 minutes before I can click again.

Did you by any chance uncheck Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling > Save in Background? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I swith to 256 GB RAM

By @Brecht Corbeel

The amount of RAM is actually not that important. Raster image editing requires huge amounts of memory, much more than any RAM you may have installed. No matter how much you have, it's not "enough".

That's why Photoshop uses a scratch disk, and that's the critical bottleneck. All that temporary data is written to disk, and you need to have enough free space on a fast disk to handle it. RAM is more of a cache to the scratch disk's main memory.

With your file sizes, I'd never be comfortable with less than at least 1 TB of free space on an NVMe drive. The scratch file needs to contain all your history states for all open files, plus overhead, which can be considerable for smart objects.

Aside from that, brush response is largely limited by your GPU and driver. A buggy or suboptimal driver can slow this down considerably, as can an underpowered card.

Generally, a lot of people don't understand the significance of raster data vs. vector data. Raster editing is orders of magnitude more I/O-intensive than vector editing. There's just an enormous amount of data that needs to be moved around.

Save times are determined more by data encoding than actual writing to disk. That's why you don't see that much difference between HDD and SSD. Make sure to disable PSB compression in Photoshop Preferences! This speeds up saving dramatically, like from 10 minutes down to, say, 40 seconds (depending on layer structure).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to post Feature Requests please mark them accordingly – »Idea« not »Discussion«. 

»Dicsussions« are basically just a user Forum. 

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 11.31.36.png

What kind of work are you doing that would need a Brush that is more than 90% of the largest side of the image anyway? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines