• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop not asking to save on exit [2019]

Participant ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just edited a PSD file and made prints from it. Then I closed the file and it closed without asking if I wanted to save changes.

Under what circumstances will Photoshop not ask to save upon exit?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Photoshop doesn't ask when saving to the cloud. It auto saves not only when you close, but when as you're working. I've mentioned this to Adobe numerous times, as I feel it is a major flaw, if someone flattens their work to print, then closes the file, not realizing that their flattened image will be saved over their layered image. If you don't want changes made, you have to go back using tje history panel and manually save at the point that you want. Big flaw IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Don't save to the cloud, you don't have to. It's optional. Most of us work locally just as we always have.

But if you do, you can go back to a previous version. That's what you need to do here.

Cloud documents auto-save and auto-update. You do not save explicitly. This is how cloud saving everywhere works, and it's how people expect it to work. Microsoft Office works this way too, just to name a familiar example.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

That shouldn't be happening, let's make it right.

As the save dialog does not open when you close Photoshop, could you please let us know the version of Photoshop and the operating system you're working with?

Could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps? Preferences in Photoshop

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes and actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you previously printed the document and saved the document, If you open that saved file and make an other print and do not change any print setting.   When you close the document Photoshop will most likely not ask if you want to save changes because you made no changes.   Photoshop will close document that you close when there are no unsaved changes. If there are unsaved changes you will get a saving prompt.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2021 is doing that to me, too, particularly when I'm editing a doc in the Photoshop cloud.  I make changes, such as collapsing layers --- a change I do NOT want to keep --- and then close the document, assuming that PS will ask if I want to keep the changes, and allow me to say "no".  

Then it saves the changes without asking and I lose all my layers.

This is really, really annoying and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem as well but went to Edit > Preferences > General and selected "Reset All Warning Diologs" and that seems to have fixed it. Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is not resolved and the solutions offered do not resolve this issue in Photoshop 2021. as is stated below, PS closes and autosaves, it does not ask to save and if you have merged layers and other things to export specific elements it will overwrite and save without warning, your permission and it destroys your elements.

Can Someone PLEASE explain how to STOP this??? I have tried resetting the preferences on exit and it makes no difference

Mac OS Big Sur... and this is software I have just purchased and downloaded

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't save to the cloud, you don't have to. It's optional. Most of us work locally just as we always have.

But if you do, you can go back to a previous version. That's what you need to do here.

Cloud documents auto-save and auto-update. You do not save explicitly. This is how cloud saving everywhere works, and it's how people expect it to work. Microsoft Office works this way too, just to name a familiar example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't ask when saving to the cloud. It auto saves not only when you close, but when as you're working. I've mentioned this to Adobe numerous times, as I feel it is a major flaw, if someone flattens their work to print, then closes the file, not realizing that their flattened image will be saved over their layered image. If you don't want changes made, you have to go back using tje history panel and manually save at the point that you want. Big flaw IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if someone flattens their work to print, then closes the file, not realizing that their flattened image will be saved over their layered image.

Yeap, I just did it. Thankfully found that hidden in the Photoshop function "Window > Version History". It wasn't obvious at all, where to find it, there is none on Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with cloud saving. Have to rememeber every time to go to history, check the state I was and then close the file. Not good at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here but not saving to cloud. Updon exit it saves automatically and I hate it so much . It ruined what I was working on. I closed without saving because I DID NOT want to save. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you work on local disks, Photoshop will ask if you want to save when exiting. It will never save automatically. You have to accept the save.

As I understand, cloud saving is different and in line with how cloud saving works everywhere else (e.g. MS Office). I never do cloud saving so I wouldn't know anything about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THanks but it was saving automatically without asking. I have reset things and am hoping that with solve the problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines