• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop not detecting RAM, VRAM and UNKOWN GPU detected

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone. Please help me fix this problem.

After a fresh installation of Windows 10 and reinstalling Photonhop in my m, chine I get the following message when opening photoshop.

Stephan5FE6_0-1676341243438.png

And after checking the "Performance Tab" under "Edit Preferences", I see that photoshop doesn't detect all m. Therethere are 8GB of RAM installed in my machine but, PS only detects 5428MB. And also, it says that there are problems with the display driver

Stephan5FE6_1-1676341512723.png

I have also checked the version of my DirectX and the Virtual Memory of my graphic card and I have DirectX12 and 1792MB of Virtual Memory 

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/14/2023, 02:06:12
Machine name: DESKTOP-4LA12PO
Machine Id: {196DD309-F1F2-4AE8-B8A0-682DB89457A5}
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Latitude E5430 non-vPro
BIOS: A07 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8066MB RAM
Page File: 4963MB used, 5021MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_053C1028&REV_09
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 1792 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
Shared Memory: 1760 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I do not understand what can be the problem. I have updated all the drivers, and I tried downloading the previous version of Photoshop up to 21.0, but I always have the same problem.

What doesn't make sense is that before the fresh installation of Win 10, I had the latest version 24.11 of Photoshop and it was working fine.

I have followed most of the guides online I could find but I still have no luck

Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll help you figure this out. Could you please share the system info of Photoshop from Help > System info > Copy & paste into a text document > upload to Creative Cloud files (https://assets.adobe.com/files) and share here? 

The GPU you're using has been unsupported for a while. You can try updating the GPU driver & complete any updates pending for Windows. Check this to learn more: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

To refresh the logs, try these two things.

• Ensure no stale preferences in your Photoshop. Go to the location of the preference folder mentioned below and rename it to backup. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

• Windows 10/11: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
    • Press Windows + R & type this is the Run Window - %APPDATA%\Adobe
      SameerK_0-1676397451792.png
    • Rename the Adobe Photoshop folder by adding a .old at the end. (Adobe Photoshop 2023 > Rename > Adobe Photoshop 2023. old)

• On Windows, the GPU info & Logs location is %APPDATA%\Adobe\CameraRaw. A shortcut to get to this folder on Windows is:

• Press the Windows + R
    • Enter %APPDATA%\Adobe\CameraRaw
      SameerK_2-1676397508240.png
    • Rename the GPU & Logs folder in this directory by adding .old at the end. (GPU.old & Logs.old)
    • Restart Photoshop, which should capture the updated driver & hardware capabilities.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I have created two PDFs so that I could also add screenshots, one is with my Display adaptor Enabled, and another with it Disabled. You will find all the system info in there, please see File name to understand wich is wich.

In addition, I contacted adobe support yesterday, and the agent added a .txt file to:

C:\Users\[Usernaeme]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\Adobe Photoshop 2023 Settings

with this text:

Stephan5FE6_0-1676451393724.png

so the reports you will see in the PDFs are after we added this file to the mentioned location. 

What I am trying to understandd is the difference between when the Adaptor is ON and OFF.

Thank for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having similar issues to Stephen on a Windows 11 Dell Workstation machine with 32GB.  I have an AMD Radeon HD 5450 GPU with 1Gb which I know is old tech.  Windows and all drivers updated.  Photoshop (or Lightroom Classic) won't recognise the GPU from the PS logs:

GPUName: Unknown GPU
GPUVendor: UNKNOWN

But Sniffer finds it ok although this isn't passed to Photoshop it seems.

# devices: 1
Device 0
Name: AMD Radeon HD 5450
Preferred: TRUE
Power Envelope: INTEGRATED
Attachment: UNKNOWN
# attached displays: 1
\\.\DISPLAY4

I can Force GPU on as below, this stops the error box but is a false dawn as Preferences still show the GPU is unrecognised. I follwed the renaming of all the preferences to .old, but no difference.

I am just an enthusiast photographer, not a pro, a few seconds faster isn't an issue, although I want to get the best out of my setup 🙂  I am preparred to buy an improved GPU card, but I can't find an approved list (only 'less than 7 years old') to see if something is affordable, any GPU suggestions please at the lower cost end of the market?

Many thanks

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @richards57896817. I understand that it can be confusing to get new upgrades. Depending on the scale of your operation & the budget, the preferred hardware can change.

You can check this conversation where experts & adapt users have shared their experiences: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/buying-a-pc-for-photoshop-in-2022/m-p...

Consider using GPUs with an average of 2000 operating per second or higher. You can check this on PassMark's benchmark: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html

Try researching the internet for independent benchmarks & stress test results for whichever GPU fits your needs. Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very helpful Sameer, many thanks and for the link.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @richards57896817 your GPU is not compatible with Photoshop. To put it in context - the minimum recommended speed is 2000 ops/sec and yours is almost off the chart at 54.

You can use the link @Sameer K sent to find a compatible GPU for purchase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is also very helpful Kevin, thanks for responding.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Stephan5FE6 your Intel HD 4000 will not run current Photoshop builds as it does not meet the requirements.

Specifically. your speed is only 254 ops/sec and the recommended minimum is 2,000 ops sec. The Intel HD 4000 also does not support DirectX12.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html#min-gpu-requirements

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+4000&id=2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you find those specs that claim DX12 support? From everything I can find, Kevin is right. The HD4000 only supports DirectX 11.1. You could see if there's a newer driver for it from Intel, but don't expect too much. This is a CPU/GPU from 2012. 

As for system memory, never set allocation to 100%! Even if some memory is system reserved (which is why you see a smaller amount), there will still be other processes and applications that need RAM too.

Although I suspect that's moot here, as 8 GB is simply not enough to run current Photoshop versions. Especially when you have an integrated GPU that also uses system memory. You might have better chances if there was a discrete GPU with its own dedicated onboard VRAM.

If you set memory allocation back to 70-80%, and get an updated driver for the HD4000, and have enough free disk space for the scratch disk, then maybe you could get Photoshop to start and run. And that's assuming there somehow is DirectX 12 support here. But you will soon get into trouble with the limited memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have found the info about DirectX running the command "dxdiag" in the Run Box (Win Key + R). I will attach the full report here 

Also, I have already checked the drivers update. They are all up-to-date, as mentioned in Sameer's reply. We added a file to the setting folder. Just check the PDFs files to see the system info. 

I will also try using the scratch disk to see if there are any performance improvements.

Thanks for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it's hard to argue with that 😉

But even so, memory remains a problem, and that problem is much bigger with an integrated GPU that also needs a big chunk of what you have.

As Bojan points out, the operating system will need almost half of it already. There's no way you can allocate the full 8GB in Photoshop, and what it shows you is the amount available to Photoshop. That's more or less 8GB used before you have even done anything! And then you still have other applications and processes. Even Photoshop plugins, like ACR, need their own memory.

And then add the GPU. It tends to consume memory as you go along, and there may be nothing left for it. In my own use, I see the GPU routinely using 6 - 10 GB, but that's a discrete card with its own VRAM, so it doesn't affect the rest of the system.

I always say that to run Photoshop efficiently nowadays, 16 GB should be considered minimum, just to keep things humming along. And then you need the scratch disk to kick in when you start actually working. Photoshop's working memory under load is in any case much bigger than any RAM you may or may not have, so total memory needed can go into several hundred GB. That all goes to disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in addition, I think that the missing RAM is taken by the graphic card integrated in the Chipset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have 32 GB RAM installed but available only 25GB. Keep in mind that only Windows 11 OS will ocuppy roughly 5GB of RAM. I can not remember for Win 10. If occupied RAM by OS then it is not available to be used by Photoshop. I think that 8GB of RAM may be enough only to run Photoshop and perhaps for some basic operations on small files.

As already mentioned by @kevin stohlmeyer your Graphics Card is below minimum computation power which is not mentioned anywhere (at least I haven't seen that info) but I think it is at least 500-600 from this list https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html Recommended is 2000 direct computation score although many machines works with much smaller rating/score.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it is something added with the new version of PS? I am sure that until a month ago, I could see all the 8GB of RAM in the Performance Tab. Please also check my other replies to comments to have more info about what is happening. 

Thanks for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure whether is added recently or not. You must run OS in the background, OS must be loaded into RAM. It is mistake to show you 8/8GB available to use when its not, because you can not overwrite or kick OS from RAM to do computation for Photoshop process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines