• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop not saving layers

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on a photoshop file rendering some objects onto a photo. The file has a base layer and several layers above it with objects, a text layer, a couple layer masks, etc. Nothing special at all.

I saved the file as .psd and then I opened Illustrator and placed the file as a linked object. None of the objects on the layers are showing up in the placed image. I switched back over to photoshop and all the various layers are there plain as day. I made a couple minor updates then saved the file again.

Switched back over to illustrator. The file didn't automatically update like it normally would with a linked file, so I re-linked. Still, none of the layers are showing. I figure it's something with the linked image so I delete it and place the image it again. The objects on the layers are simply not showing up.

I go back to Photoshop and the layers are all there and displaying as expected. I close the file. Since nothing has changed since the last save, there's no save warning. I then close Photoshop. I go back to Illustrator and save my working file and close Illustrator. I restart photoshop.

On the home screen it shows the thumbnail of the image I was working on. The objects in the layers are all showing in the thumbnail as expected. I click on the thumbnail to open the file and when the file opens THE LAYERS ARE ALL GONE. I close the file without saving and I restart Photoshop. The home screen opens and now the thumbnail isn't showing any of the objects that were on the layers. I open the file again and indeed, all of the layers are just GONE!

I've worked in photoshop for 30 years and have experienced a lot of bugs, but I haven't ever experienced this "ghost layer" issue since layers became a thing in v.3. Anyone have any idea what caused this???

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Thanks Cory, I sent you the file. I also sent the system data copy directly to you in case it had any hackable information.

I created a new file last night with new layers and that seemed to function as expected. However, unlike the original I didn't use any layer masks, layer effects or active text. They were just simple layers. It placed into illustrator as expected and when I made a change in photoshop it updated in illustrator. I hope the problem was just a single corrupt file. However, I did

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @alanj73085092 sorry to hear this. Would it be possible to share the file you are having this issue with to the team to investigate?  Send to shubert@adobe.com.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Cory, I sent you the file. I also sent the system data copy directly to you in case it had any hackable information.

I created a new file last night with new layers and that seemed to function as expected. However, unlike the original I didn't use any layer masks, layer effects or active text. They were just simple layers. It placed into illustrator as expected and when I made a change in photoshop it updated in illustrator. I hope the problem was just a single corrupt file. However, I did notice this morning prior to restoring the preferences as you suggested below, that I was unable to drag and drop files into Photoshop to open them. After I shut down and deleted the preferences on open as you suggested, that function started working normally. I think I'm going to uninstall/reinstall photoshop just to be on the safe side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the update @alanj73085092 at this point let's hope it was a corrupt preference file and you should be back in business. Please let us know if this happens again.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines