Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop not showing adjustment layer changed from plugin

Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

So I've written a plugin that let me send data to PS and do adjustment changes in my own app & control PS & see results there.

I'm using Qt6 for my app & widgets to simulate a similar experience to photoshop native adjustment ones.

However when I move & hold the mouse pressed, I can see that for example, the curve changes, but the image does not update. It's as if drawing in photoshop was stuck until I release the button in my app. My app is a separate process so I don't understand why it would cause photoshop to not "update".

The way I work is

1. I connect via a generator to PS.

2. I send JS command calling on my plugin

3. My C++ plugin performs adjustment change

4. Curve changes/ image does not until I release the mouse button

I tried adding refresh() to my JS script after calling my plugin, but now nothing updates in PS, not even curve. It's fully stuck. It looks like photoshop is stuck until I release the mouse button. It seems that there is some odd logic in PS to NOT update the image while the mouse is pressed? Or mayb its because photoshop is not in main focus and thus it does not update? How can I focus-force it or something?

How can I disable it in either c++/JS  ?

@Tom Ruark @ErinF 

Regards

Dariusz

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dariusz, Do you have the version information as to when this starting failing for you? Mac/Win? Both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Tom Ruark 

I'm sorry for the late reply. Was trying to get it compiled & tested on Mac M1. But I updated OS and nothing compiles anymore there now sigh.

I've made a video in meantime, its happening on Windows 10x64 and Photoshop 23.2.2 20220304.r.325 49bf0ec x64

On the video, the first half is when I held the button & moved the curve. The second half is when I was releasing the mouse button.

It looks like PS is not updating any viewport area during mouse press event anywhere else on windows. 

I also talked to clients/retouchers about this and they said that even when they tried some of the Photoshop marketplace tools/plugins that let them change colors from custom apps running inside photoshop, they had the same problem. Which is something no artist can accept in color-critical/delicate work. 

Another issue I have is the time it takes for an action to take place. I can push updates to PS at any rate, but as far as I can tell 250ms is more or less the fastest I can do where its somewhat "responsive" Photoshop Generator is very slow at pushing/initializing my plugin so far ‌‌ How can I quicker control photoshop to offer better interactivity? 

Regards
Dariusz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey 
Just pinging @Tom Ruark ^

I've there is a way we can grab a call, I can screen share source code with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best if I can get a copy of your plugins and repro in house. Then I can show to the developer that I think will have the answer for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tom Ruark I've sent you pm with a link/info on how to get files.

Looking forward to what we can do with photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

@Tom Ruark Any update from Devs maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump :- )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bump :- ))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines