• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop out of the blue back to default. Why?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened the app today only to find that all the workspace is as if I opened the programme for the first time, all my actions are gone, everything is on default. I took me some time to make this app work for me, it took me some time to make my actions. Why has it all vanished? I pay for the app to do my work, it is no cheap thing. You should not steal my time like this. It is unfair and quite frustraiting. 

HOW CAN I GET BACK MY SETTINGS AND ACTIONS?!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kath.pl Are you running as an Admin?

This page shows you where your preference files are located:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Perhaps check folder permissions and modification dates to see if the files actually changed or if PS is having permissions issues reading the folder?

Did your Photoshop auto-update since you last used it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, perhaps it is my fault I did not make a settings backup. I am a photographer, not a programmer. Photoshop did auto-updated. I last used it maybe the day before yesterday, today it looks as if it was a different programme. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to your folders noted on the page, previous build preferences should still be there.

If you still have your previous copy of Photoshop you can save out the actions etc. to migrate. Go to Photoshop>Edit>Migrate Presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did find the previous settings filder, but how do I import it to the actual photoshop? I do not see "import" option in the preferences 😞

Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its part of the preset migration. Use that feature under the Edit menu to port them over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my problems with photoshop is that it would not switch to English (I am not English, you can probably tell, but most of the info about the app is in English and I have hard time to find the coresponding command in my language version, since the translation is most... awkward to be kind).

I tried to "migrate presets" yet the app says sth like "no presets found". 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install the correct language version using the Creative Cloud Desktop App:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/change-install-language.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dobry dzień after reinstalling in your language, you can switch the installed language via preferences/interface, and a restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kath.pl wrote:

Photoshop did auto-updated.. 

In addition, you can turn off auto-updates in the CC app.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane, I had it turned on because I never think of such things and I assumed it would be best to let Adobe worry about actualisations. I did not realise it will ruin my workflow. I have turned auto-update off first thing in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines