Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop pen tool not copying layer

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

So randomly the pen tool is not copying the layer content, it is just copyin the actual nodes and lines I have just created and pasting that. So I have two selections on top of eachother, the image within the layer isnt selected or pasted at all.

I cannot cut out a section of an image and paste it to a new layer. I just get two sets of selection paths, one on top of the other. 

I have installed older versions of the software, I have copied the image into a new document. I have tried a completely new document with a simple box to copy and paste with no luck. 

It is driving me insane haha 

Cheers,

Mat

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

@mathewh19102500 

The Pen tool does not technically make a selection, but if you are in Path mode, you can convert the path to a selection by

• the Paths panel menu
  • the dotted icon at the bottom of the Paths panel
  • the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Enter (Cmd+Return on Mac)

To copy or cut pixels on a layer, you need to have a selection, not a path. 

If you still have trouble, look in the Paths panel. Name the path so you don't lose it, then click in a clear area of the panel to deselect all paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mat,

Thanks for reaching out. The description seemed a bit confusing.

It would be great if we could see what you're seeing. Please post a screen recording of what's happening, and we will help sort it out. Here are instructions for making a screen recording - https://bit.ly/3Fkf5Vd

We need some details;

Which version of the application are you using? Is the correct layer selected? What type of document are you working with?

We're here to help, looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you turning the path into a selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@mathewh19102500 

The Pen tool does not technically make a selection, but if you are in Path mode, you can convert the path to a selection by

• the Paths panel menu
  • the dotted icon at the bottom of the Paths panel
  • the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Enter (Cmd+Return on Mac)

To copy or cut pixels on a layer, you need to have a selection, not a path. 

If you still have trouble, look in the Paths panel. Name the path so you don't lose it, then click in a clear area of the panel to deselect all paths. If a path is selected, Photoshop likes to use that.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines