• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Question

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 11.05.12 AM.pngHey guys, I'm trying to make a booth design with the American Flag. I'd like to have photos of families and children replacing parts/shapes of the flag but I want to keep the flag's shadows and highlights when im replacing with photos. For example, I'd like to replace this star with that photo. At the same time, I want to keep the shadow and highlight the star already on the American Flag picture. I'd like to cover the whole flag in different photographs but maintain the shadows and highlights the flag already has so it doesn't look choppy and looks like it just a part of the flag. Another thing, I want the photo to match the color of the flag whichever area it is. How would I do this as well? 

I tried explaining the best I could haha. Thank you! ❤️ I did this stuff in the past but just forgot how to do it. I'm pretty rusty and don't know what name for a tutorial I should look up. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Hi @defaultwvtvr31mafhd here's how I would handle:

1. Position the photos over the individual stars.

2. Hide the Photo layer's visibility (eye icon) on the layers panel.

3. Choose the flag layer and select the stars individually using a selection tool.

4. Click the corresponding photo layer, turn the visibility back on and while selection is active, click the Layer Mask icon to mask the photo to the shape of the star.

5. Bonus - click the link icon between the image and the layer mask. This will

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post part of the flag-image and one or two of the other images. 

On white the Blend Mode Multiply and some Blend If-settings might suffice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultwvtvr31mafhd here's how I would handle:

1. Position the photos over the individual stars.

2. Hide the Photo layer's visibility (eye icon) on the layers panel.

3. Choose the flag layer and select the stars individually using a selection tool.

4. Click the corresponding photo layer, turn the visibility back on and while selection is active, click the Layer Mask icon to mask the photo to the shape of the star.

5. Bonus - click the link icon between the image and the layer mask. This will allow you to click the image layer and move/position/scale the image inside the mask without moving the mask itself.

6. Adjust the layer blending mode to blend the photo in to the flag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this really helped! What blending mode would you recommend to blend with the flag? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try multiply first then adjust the opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines