• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop quick selection tool cancels too much of the selection when removing of the selection

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

So I'm trying to adjust a selection made using a color range. But the tool is cancelling a lot of the selection when I only try to erase a small part of it. I find this very strange seeing as there is a clear difference between what I like to deselect and what I'd like to keep selected. 

I made a video of what I mean, but the cursor has somehow been automatically removed from the screen record. I'm working in the right corner'ish, and you can see the part being removed before everything gets removed: https://youtu.be/eXR4AZ82-CE

Thanks in advance 😄

Cheers

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

The quick selection tool also "learns." So if you switch between the +/- adding back in what it has taken away, and erasing the extra parts that you don't want, it will fairly quickly get it really close to right. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try using Color Range instead of the Quick Selection tool to select the color range:

1. Go to Select > Color Range...
  2. Set Select to Sampled Colors
  3. Deselect Localized Color Clusters
  4. Use the eyedroppers in the Color Range dialog or the same modifier keys that you would with other selection tools (Shift to add, Alt on Windows or Option on macOS to subtract) to add to or remove from the selected color sample

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. That's exactly what I did, but as I am trying to remove from the selection using the quick select tool, this is happening. It all seems very backward to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quick selection tool also "learns." So if you switch between the +/- adding back in what it has taken away, and erasing the extra parts that you don't want, it will fairly quickly get it really close to right. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines