• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop "Export-As" insists on cropping image - how to avoid?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a transparent png image 256 x 256, and need to create an outline path from this and export this as .svg.  I can create the path and a cut-out layer from the path, no problem, but when I go to "export as" this layer, the image is automatically cropped to the limits of the path.  Yes, I can manually reset the canvas size up to 256 x 256, but as the image is asymmetric, the svg output ends up shifted laterally relative to the .png source.  

This totally does not work for me, as I need the .svg to align with the .png image (they are for use in a 3d modeling program).   What I need is a svg export in the original (256x256) size.

Using Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.5 release) on a PC under Win-10 pro v1809

Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this (apparently simple) aim?   Thanks!  jb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kglad,

Your reply was blank.  Please try it again.  Thanks jb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Not sure if I understand the question correctly, could you please share some screenshots as that would helpful for us to suggest some steps.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking at this.   I have tried three approaches to generating the assets.   While one of the approaches does create what I need (yay!), I do not understand why it would differ from the others, which leads me to suspect that the (desired) behavior is accidental, and likely to stop working in a future photoshop revision.  

Please let me know your thoughts and how you suggest I proceed.   Thanks so much, jb

-----------------------------

Screenshots

1. 256x256 original image, trimmed with eraser

Screenshot 2019-07-09 06.52.48.png

2. selection to outline by ctrl-clicking on layer in layer list

Screenshot 2019-07-09 06.55.38.png

3. path created from selection

Screenshot 2019-07-09 06.56.34.png

4. layer created from path

Screenshot 2019-07-09 06.57.18.png

------------------------------

APPROACH 1: Right-clicking and export-as

5. right-click on layer with path, export-as.

NOTE: size trimmed to 103 x 188

Screenshot 2019-07-09 06.58.18.png

6. canvas size manually forced to 256x256 in the form.

NOTE: while size is now 256 x 256, image has been shifted to right of center,

so alignment to original and to .svg is destroyed.

Screenshot 2019-07-09 07.09.02.png

7. right-click on layer with cut-out image, export-as.

NOTE: size trimmed to 109 x 195

APPROACH 2:  Use alt-shift-ctrl-w (which should be the same as "export-as", but isn't)

8. select image layer, alt-shift-ctrl-w.

NOTE: size not trimmed (yay!)

Screenshot 2019-07-09 07.14.15.png

9. select path layer, alt-shift-ctrl-w.

NOTE: size not trimmed (yay!)

Screenshot 2019-07-09 07.17.12.png

APPROACH 3:  Use Generate-Image-Assets (automatic)

10. Layer names changed to "approach 3" and file > generate > image assets clicked

NOTE: results trimmed the same (useless) as Approach 1.

Screenshot 2019-07-09 07.34.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unsure what you want to do, but I would model a square in my 3D program and past the picture as a texture on. No need for Photoshop here.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dear Abambo,

Thanks for the suggestion.   Apologies for not being clear.   The difficulty is that I want my 3d objects (rendered vis three.js and webGL) to appear as not squares, but as cut-outs with the shapes of the objects, hence the .svg files which carry the cut-out info and the .png's carrying the texture images.  If these are misaligned one-to-the-other, the result is wrong.

Best regards, jb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, for your situation it is necessary to use your approach. 🙂

kglad​ 's response was not blank. He moved your entry to the Photoshop forum, as your question is Photoshop related. That's also what he said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie (to forum) oops on my part.   I thought I WAS in the photoshop forum.   mea culpa.  jb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also experiencing this issue. ps insists on cropping 'export as' images. it only happens after i try to change the 'image size' settings. almost as if it is confusing 'image size' with 'canvas size' – the image stays the same size but the canvas size changes, cropping the image. even worse, it then remembers the setting for this particular image so i can't cancel and retry - even after restarting ps.

i can open another image and export as without problem. it's very random and extremely frustrating. currently the only workaround i can see is to use the legacy 'save for web' function. not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also experiencing this. It's needlessly causing me hours of pain. The image centers in the frame unexpectedly and renders the art useless. <<sigh>>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here - so so SO annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

I was having the same issue and after countless painstaking hours...I found a solution that is not the best, but it worked for me.

After changing the canvas size on Photoshop, the orientation of the images and removing the background, I exported as a .psd file and then opened it up on Photopea (online website) and then exported it as a .png from there.

It exported it perfectly without the cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use Save As/Save As a Copy: PNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users (including me) are having issues with the way that it crops the image when exporting simply with: Save As/Save As a Copy: PNG, also even after changing the canvas size and image size in the 'Export As' tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's completely nonsense. Save As Copy does not change the size (in pixels) of an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@saver344 wrote:

Some users (including me) are having issues with the way that it crops the image when exporting simply with: Save As/Save As a Copy: PNG, also even after changing the canvas size and image size in the 'Export As' tab.

The reason for Export As is explained in the following topic by an Adobe engineer:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-export-as-now-crops-to-contents-instead-of...

Sadly, it has been six months and this has not been addressed. One workaround is to use an action or script to place a couple of bounding 1x1 pixels that are "invisible" (1%) so that the transparency to the canvas size is retained.

Active (single) layer only:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-export-as-now-crops-to-contents-instead-of...

All applicable layers:

Selected (multiple) layers:

Adobe Generator/Generate Image Assets crops to transparency by design.

As for Save As, I have never experienced or heard of anybody stating that Save As crops the image, so I'm going to suggest that you are mistaken on this point. If not, this needs to be proven so that it can be addressed. Save As and Save for Web are used as alternatives to the cropping or image vs. transparent canvas position issue. The following scripts will Save As or Save for Web all top-level layers to a transparent PNG retaining the position of elements to transparency:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-do-i-export-layers-as-png-without...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines