• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop - "Open As" strange behaviour

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to the latest version of Photoshop (22.3) and noticed a strange behaviour when I tried to use the Open As command in the file menu.

I wanted to open a tif file into Adobe Camera Raw. When I tried I got an error "Could not open "xxxxx.tif" because the file could not be parsed". I had selected file type Camera Raw

I then tried opening a jpg file using the Open As command and got an error "Could not open "xxxx.jpg" because of a problem parsing the EPS file. I had selected Open As .jpg for this file so why did it try to open as a EPS file?

Next I tried to open a tif file using the Open As command and got the following error. "This does not appear to be a valid PICT. QuickDraw may crash attempting to draw it. Try anyway?" I had selected Open As tif file so why did it think I was openeing a PICT file?

It seems like the file type assocations for the Open As command are all mixed up.

I am running Windows 10 Pro. If I open any of the above using the straight Open command they work fine. I went down the Open As route because I wanted to use ACR on a tif file and was told that I have to use the Open As command and select file type Camera Raw.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If in photoshop you go to Edit>Preferences>Camera Raw>File Handling and set the Jpeg and Tiff to Automatically Open All Supported Jpegs and Open All Supported Tiffs, do the files in question then open in Camera Raw?

pref.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion which I have tried. However, it has made no difference I still get the same errors that I reported in my first post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If, for example, you resave one of the tif files under a different name and/or save one of the jpegs as a tif, does that make a difference? Also copying the contents to new blank file might be worth a try to get rid of any bad metadata.

If your able to post any of the files in question here on the forum, preferably one each tif and jpeg, we can try on our own machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ran into this same problem with a JPG.

Could not open "filename.jpg" because the file could not be parsed.

Currently on Photoshop 23.3.2 and Camera Raw 14.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, and the workaround is to navigate to the file in Bridge and then right click and "Open in Camera Raw." I have no idea why Photoshop is throwing a hissy fit over it, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with Camera Raw itself, just the process of opening it through Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines