• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop RAW file format 32 bit floating point?

Engaged ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a version of the Photoshop RAW file format for 32 bit floating point?   Not Camera RAW!!!   At present, all I see only are 8 and 16 bit formats.  Be nice to have 32bit.

Comments?

RONC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Are your Photoshop Raw files already 32 Bits/Channel?

What version of photoshop are you using?

In the open photoshop raw options dialog in Photoshop cc 2017 there is 32 bit and i tested it by saving a 32 bits/channel image in photoshop raw and reopening it and it's still 32 bits/channel.

pr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rechmbrs,

Please check the below knowledge base article.

High dynamic range images in Photoshop

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had already been there.  I need to move the 32bit files to another environment which they are now using 16 bit Photoshop RAW as the medium.  I was hoping I could change the script to do it.  How do I get Adobe to update for 32Bit Photoshop RAW?

Thanks for helping.

RONC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get Adobe to update for 32Bit Photoshop RAW?

Have you consulted the Reference?

Quote:

The Photoshop Raw format consists of a stream of bytes describing the color information in the image. Each pixel is described in binary format, with 0 representing black and 255 white (for images with 16-bit channels, the white value is 65535). Photoshop designates the number of channels needed to describe the image, plus any additional channels in the image. You can specify the file extension (Windows), file type (Mac OS), file creator (Mac OS), and header information.

No mention of 32bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do I try to get the PS RAW format to handle 32 bit floating point?

It so happens using PS RAW output is the only efficient way to get a

binary file from Javascript. The client wants a binary flat file with 32

bit.

Thanks for your patience.

RONC

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 9:27 AM, c.pfaffenbichler <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your Photoshop Raw files already 32 Bits/Channel?

What version of photoshop are you using?

In the open photoshop raw options dialog in Photoshop cc 2017 there is 32 bit and i tested it by saving a 32 bits/channel image in photoshop raw and reopening it and it's still 32 bits/channel.

pr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PS CC 2017 and I see where it is available now.   Would never have guessed.   Speaking of guessing, the user should be able to specify the aspect ratio and routine get number of pixels in x and y.

Someone needs to fix the various pieces of documentation -  see above.

Works fine in javascript now also.   Read and write work.

Thanks so much.

RONC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would Adobe not move forward with technology and the fast movmg future? Why would we have to go back to a very OLD version of Photoshop to do this? Does this make sense to people who are trying to push the boundaries of the cutting edge of the current place of technology?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason an old Photoshop version is mentioned here is that it's an old thread. When it was written, that was the current version.

What's your point? Do you have a specific problem that we can help you with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the Digital Negative (DNG) Specification document it says: "Floating point bit depths of 16, 24, and 32 bits per sample are supported."

With the most current version of Camera Raw, is 32-bit float point being used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines