• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop recovered files

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does anyone else have an issue where by photoshop opens duplicates of the same recovered file when the program is started?? 

More often than not I purposly force quit photoshop at the end of the day before shutting down my system - just incase I have forgotten to save a file or i've accidentally saved over a file! happens when you pull all nighters!!

so now when photoshop opens it take a while opening all the recovered files along with a duplicate of each file! how do i stop this??

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

"i purposly force quit photoshop"

Force Quit is intended for a frozen application. Quit should be used for an application that is not frozen so it can shut down properly. Are you saying that PS is freezing everyday? 

Does it still happen when you Quit properly? If not, then that is the best way to stop it from happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"i purposly force quit photoshop"

Force Quit is intended for a frozen application. Quit should be used for an application that is not frozen so it can shut down properly. Are you saying that PS is freezing everyday? 

Does it still happen when you Quit properly? If not, then that is the best way to stop it from happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no photoshop doesnt freeze daily - its a way of closing photoshop without having to save each individual file separately, i generally have several open at a time, and so the next time i open ps all the files im working on open automaticaly, all my files are constantly saving on auto save - if i use the quit facitity it doesnt utilize the auto recover at all and i have to save all files individully, ps then opens with no files open.

The only issue is when ps is started and my auto recovered files open, ps opens a duplicate of each file, so i then need to close all the duplicates.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"does anyone else have an issue where by photoshop opens duplicates of the same recovered file when the program is started??"

Hi

To clarify, then, your workflow is that you have a lot of unsaved files open and at the end of the day use Force Quit to utilize Auto Recover instead of properly saving, closing, and quitting? And the next day, duplicates of each unsaved file get opened automatically when you launch Photoshop?

To answer you initial question, I do not have an issue where PS opens duplicates of the same recovered file when the program is started because I do not use your workflow.

I am a user just like you and won't be testing this. Prehaps another forum volunteer will step in.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane,

if you were not experiencing the issue im not sure why you answered the question and drew out the process. I can only assume to up ones experience points??

Auto save is a very powerful and useful tool, and does save files properly - sometimes when you have an indrediblty busy work flow you need loop holes to speed up the process - auto saving and recovery is one of these processes I utilize.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Force quitting runs the risk of damaging your preferences (which contain more than just the user files and are saved on Photoshop closure).

Autorevover in Photoshop is for crash recovery.

You are of course entitled to misuse the software - but at your own risk and with the consequences that you have to put up with behaviour that you don't like.

If you want a quit and save all feature then you can raise a feature request at the link below , where it will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

As for you previous comment, Jane is a very respected and experienced member of this community, who volunteers her time to help other users. No-one does this for points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave,

all due repect to yourself and jane - isnt this about answering peoples queries? not questioning their practices? 

been doing it for years with no issue,  and this recently became a problem, so i just wanted to see if it was recognized issue. 

all the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is why a posted the link. I see some value in a "quit and save all" button which would do what you describe but whilst shutting down Photoshop in a controlled way.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave,

absolutely - but this a suggestion for the adobe developers, as you say, and doesnt solve my issue, hence my earlier responses. this could take a while to be incorporated, if ever...and so i just have to deal with it. 

I was mearly reaching out to see if anyone had experienced this issue. 

now this post is remindning me of that ricky gervais gituar lessons joke! if you havent seen google it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if it's Ricky Gervais, I'll probably love it! As to your issue, personally I'd never risk shutting down Photoshop the way you describe, not on purpose anyway. I've done this a time or two by accident, and I've had various minor mishaps happen, such as my brushes disappear and the default Photoshop brushes have replaced them (not a problem since I always save my custom brushes on my computer), and I've also had PS suddenly crash, and then the "Recovered" files appear. I just think that no matter how rushed you are, it's a good idea to close out every psd file and then close Photoshop. No point in taking unnecessary risks.

ps Both Jane and Dave are experts around here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks ponytail for your professional opinion.

been using photoshop for over 17 years to the highest level, never had any issues or expericenced this before.

im assuming you havent either, hence your lack of solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, and as I said, I've experienced accidental force-quitting, but have never done it that way on purpose due to the fears I mentioned. I'm sorry you saw my reply as a lack of solution; however, I intended the solution to be to just not force-quit anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so.... to summerize

openning line of  my question:

"does anyone else have an issue where by photoshop opens duplicates of the same recovered file when the program is started?? "

nobody has expericenced this, nobody has a solution that solves this and half a day later and after banging my head against a brick wall numerous times, the only close solution is to make a suggestion to adobe with hope that it may appear in photoshop 2027. 

I guess the moral of the story here is make the question simplier or dont bother asking at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You quesiton is a few years old but i was hoping you did you find the answer the question no one seems to address?  I get 2 copies when  my computer shuts down for any reason.. Force quiting wen nessesary or power outage.. makes no difference. The point is photoshop remembers you last steps withing 15 minutes and I get 2 recovery files of each twice.   It drives me crazy and has been doing this for years.  Let me know. _ ML

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ha thanks for finding the thread! no sadly still no fix and yes still driving me nuts too epseically when working on many files at once - it would be helpul if someone from photoshop could review the questions however the chances are slim to none 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That would be great.  I may ask next time I call Adobe. My other issue is that Creative Cloud gets corrupted about once every month or 2 and has to be removed with a cleaner ap..   This technition  had me turn off Nortons because it causes that.. so far so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is almost certainly caused by a corrupt preferences file, which again is most often caused by irregular shutdowns.

The preferences file contains a lot more than your personal preferences. It's the application's total configuration. It is rewritten entirely when the application exits, to accommodate all current settings. An irregular shutdown will easily corrupt it, and a corrupt prefs file can cause the weirdest and most unpredictable behavior.

A deliberate force quit is asking for trouble. If things don't work as expected, this is why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prefrences trashed many times, ps unistalled and reinstall and many versions of PS versions later still the same issue.

im curious if anyone who replied had tried to force quit to see what happens?? OR if im just getting the same reply about improper practices? i refer to the original questions again....

anyway for me this forum didnt solve my issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines