• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Replace Color

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to replace a color in photoshop but when I use the eyedroper tool to change it the color is coming out wrong and brown. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

What version of Photoshop are you using? And are you on a Mac or Windows machine?

I've watched the video, and I can't see if the layer that you are on--is it a smart object?  Does this happen on other files?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When sampling a color with the eyedropper, make sure that the active layer is the layer that has the color you want to sample.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend not to waste time on »Replace Color« and try to avoid destructive approaches when possible. 

Have you tried using Solid Color Layers or Adjustment Layers instead? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @cloeh45292187 ,

Thanks for the screen recording.

You don't need to pre-select the colour.

You are doing eveything correctly from what I can see. When you selected the replace colour though, I notcied you clieked on the reddish brown colour (0:25s). This is where you would need to click on blue. 

Here's a tutorial from Adobe is you need some further help. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/replace-colors.html

Let us know how oyu go.

mj

mj_0-1647933644371.png

mj_1-1647933644091.png

mj_2-1647933644100.png

Mohammed Jogie |
Adobe Certified Associate |  Expert | Instructor |
Adobe Community Professional | Creative Ambassador | User Group Manager |
Member International Society of Typographic Designers | Lifetime Friend International Council of Design | Interaction Design Association Local Leader |
Member Pan Afrikan Design Institute | Ambassador Visual Arts Network South Africa | Central Executive Committee Member Printing SA |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another point that often seems to trip up people is that the feature is intended to colorize elements in an image, so the original luminance can have an »unexpected« effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's right, and it should be mentioned here because people who use "replace color" tend to have unrealistic expectations of what this tool does.

In Photoshop, "color" has a narrower meaning than it has in everyday language.

In Photoshop, the color component is strictly separate from the luminance component. It has to be, otherwise color blend mode would just be normal blend mode, and painting in color blend mode would just be normal opaque painting.

The Color Replacement tool has to follow the same rules. If it didn't, it would just be a normal paintbrush. So if you use it on, say, a dark purple, intending to replace it with yellow, the resulting color will be a very dark greenish olive.

But what it all boils down to is that the Color Replacement tool is, well, a waste of time. It's a totally useless tool that experienced users avoid at all costs. Most of us will just remove it from the toolbar altogether. The proper way to do it is with masked adjustment layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines