• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop rounding 0.125 inches to 0.13 inches - how to stop that?

Explorer ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i'm trying to setup a file to make a 3.5"x2" business card. the print company says to add a 1/8" bleed & again for safe area. every time i try to create either a new guide or a square shape or even a square marquee, it rounds my 0.125 (1/8)" to 0.13".

my resolution is at 300 ppi.

i have my rulers set to inches.

i have my preferences > grid set at 0.125".

i don't seem to recall ever having this issue in the past, so could this be some glitch/bug in the newer version of PS? which, btw, i'm running the macOS version 23.3.1 creative cloud on a brand new Macbook Pro M1 Max.

thanks.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try View > New Guide Layout

guide-layout.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the tip @Stephen_A_Marsh 

i 'can' do as you suggested with the guides that way. but i still can't create a box that's 0.125" square. nor a box that's 3.5"x2". it's so odd! i've done precise measurements like this in the past (tho it's been a while). what am i missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nitpicky, but the difference at that resolution is maybe two pixels at most. You can't even divide 300 by 8 into whole pixels, so PS may just be rounding up from 37.5 to 38 pixels (0.126666…″) or 39 (0.13″).

I'd probably just round up to 40px.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is why you don't use Photoshop to make business cards. Its pixel-based, NOT measurement-based, so Photoshop will always round to whole pixel sizes. You simply cannot have a shape that is measured in partial pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines