• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop's "Export As" doesn't retain file location for each document. Any Fixes?

Participant ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly, the 2017 version would save the export location for each file or default to drop it in the same folder as the PSD file. This was quite convenient, as most of my small projects just needed the image saved beside the PSD file. NOW, in the 2019 version, export remembers where the last file was exported to. This means that every time I shift from one project to another, it will want to export to a completely irrelevant folder and I have to go hunting through our  server to find the right folder. This is really puts a kink in the work-flow. (Yes, I can copy-paste the file location from my file explorer window, but it's still annoying.)

The only semi-solution I've seen is the quick export option to "Export files to an assets folder next to the current document." I'm not sure how the developers' work-flow goes, but I don't need to create a new folder for every little PSD export. (Talk about a file-nesting nightmare!) Also, I'm constantly changing the export file type (jpg to png and back again) according to which project I'm working on, so that's why I use the "Export as" feature 99% of the time.

Does anyone else have a better fix for this? Will it be fixed in future? Can we just get an option to either save export location for each file or dump it in the same folder as the parent file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried this, however do the location settings work in CC2019? This is from CC2018:

export-prefs.png

I think that you may have tried this as you mention the “unwanted” assets folder…

P.S. I just tested in CC2018 and you are correct, the “ask” option does automatically open the export window in the parent folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I found that. But even though it "asks every time." It starts me off wherever I exported the last image, which is really, REALLY annoying when I'm working on multiple projects that all need the exported files saved in the same folder as the parent folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export locacion settings is only about "Quick export", not about "Export".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is still the case in 2021, and still extremely annoying.

I'm exporting a number of images one by one, and I have to switch folders each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore the aslways broken Export As if you can and just use Save As. There's a pref in File Handling to change the default save behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Save As' doesn't give options for @1x and @2X sizes, which I use when building web banners. which I often need to do.

Which brings up another horrible bug, when using 'Export As' things saved at any other size than 100%, the resize enlarges or decreases any stroke size in the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone has an answer for this, I'd love to hear it. It is so wastefully time-consuming to have to re-select the folder when you're exporting a series of files and want them in the same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is a option in 2023 version "Use Legacy Export As". it solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a ton!!! this worked for me 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm 4 years late- but the 2022 version have a "Use Legacy: Export As" option you can tick off, in preferences the export section. Which will- put you in the last folder you used. I just found it- it saved me sooo much time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is anybody in the annoying situation where chaning to <Use legacy "Export as"> results in a drasticly reduced the effective dimmension (stangely, but keeping the size) of that picture?

English is not my mother leanguage, so let me give an example: in the "normal" quick export way the picture has 2.7MB (5822x3874 bits) and it doesn't retain file location, and if I choose <Use legacy "Export as" it will does retain file location, but will have only 299.7KB (but the same 5822x3874 bits size). And, of course, the quality degrades correspondingly 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines