• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop saves alternative / incorrect file number

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started having a problem when saving files in an alternative format, specifically: saving a TIFF as a JPEg or saving a Tiff as a JPEG via 'export as a JPEG'. Photoshop sometimes (but not always) substitutes the file number of the first file in the JPEG folder to which I am saving. Because this doesn't happen all the time I have to keep a sharp eye of the file name in the 'save' box in case a substitution has been made....sometimes I forget and miss the substitution....it's really annoying. This is a fairly new phenomenon...can anybody advise why this is happening (or what I have started doing wrong)...and how do I stop it.

Thanks

Windows 10 Home.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on a file in the folder you are saving to, apps will use that filename. Be careful where you click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply....unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter where I click, the file name gets changed. It seesm to be something which started as an occassional problem but now it seems to have this behaviour all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving with the keyboard and don't use the mouse to test, see if that stops it. There is really no other way for Photoshop to know the filename of other files in the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help. Apologies for my delay in replying.

I have tried using the keyboard shortcut 'contrl/alt/s' to get to the 'save-as' dialogue box but that's as far as I can get using the keyboard...after that I am back to the mouse. Is there an alternative method, or a way to proceed further using the keyboard?

Just to explain what I am trying to do (most commonly) in case it throws any light on the issue for you: I am firstly saving a tiff as a hi res jpeg and then secondly saving the tiff as a lo res jpeg for the web. I am using the 'save-as' command for the hi res jpeg and the file / export / export-as / jpeg for the lo res file. I have exactly the same problem in both cases.

The 'best' solution I have found so far that is that when the 'save-as' dialogue box opens, the file I am looking to save is highlighted......I can right click and save the highlighted file name, then click on the folder where the file is to be save (as soon as I do, so the name of the file to be saved changes to (always) the first file name in that folder), I can then highlight the now incorrect file name, right click and paste in the correct file name and save. 

As I have said earlier this is something which originaly happened occasionally but now it happens every time.

Any further help you might be able to offer would be welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines