Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop - saving as JPG

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem with saving files into JPG format (W11, PS v 24). My workflow is:
1. Opening ARW file in ACR

2. Opening this file in 16bit format to PS.

3. Using Ctrl+Shift+S for saving as JPG. 
Hundreds files have been stored in this way. Unfortunately today, one of files was stored as PSD format. Since this moment, PS suggests PSD format as primary. I need to selct each time JPG from the list before image is saved. It is very annoying and time consuming. Is it possible to roll back somehow primary file format to JPG?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Keeping them as 16 bit sounds like your issue. Jpg doesn't support 16 bit and have to be converted. You can create an action just to convert the file to 8 bit. The other option would be a script that would convert them and be able to save as the original filename, but in a different folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

I followed the way you suggested and wrote script instead of struggling with annoying "save as" and/or actions where path is always absolute. The script is responsible for flattenig layers if they are used. Next converts flat document to 8 bits, creates subfolder "processed" (if not exist) relative to the original file location, saves file as JPG and closes original one without saving. And finally I have created action calling this script via keyboard shotcut. Fast and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your open file has any layers, paths, or extra channels, PS will default to PSD. To have it come up as jpg, you need to have flattened the image and make sure everything is jpg compatible,  and the previous file needed to be saved as jpg. It has always been like this. There is no default to save as jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is only backround layer. Regarding to JPG compatibility, all images are always in 16-bit mode (sometimes I need to do some corrections in PS), but it didn't affect default file format. Always JPG was suggested. Now, even if image is converted to 8 bit, and saved via Ctrl+Alt+S as JPG, next image will be always PSD. Of course, I would like to avoid converting to 8-bit mode because this is additional step I must execute. For daily processed hundreds of pictures, it's matter.

FYI - actions are not a solution because saving in actions base on absolute path.  I always save pictures to subdirectory "processed" related to directory where the source files (ARWs) are stored. So it forces me to create actions per photo-session.

2022-10-19_102546.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeping them as 16 bit sounds like your issue. Jpg doesn't support 16 bit and have to be converted. You can create an action just to convert the file to 8 bit. The other option would be a script that would convert them and be able to save as the original filename, but in a different folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Chuck Uebele in my experience, Ps will auto-convert to 8bits if you send a 16 bits jpeg to Save A Copy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is true. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the way you suggested and wrote script instead of struggling with annoying "save as" and/or actions where path is always absolute. The script is responsible for flattenig layers if they are used. Next converts flat document to 8 bits, creates subfolder "processed" (if not exist) relative to the original file location, saves file as JPG and closes original one without saving. And finally I have created action calling this script via keyboard shotcut. Fast and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good! Scripts are wonderful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

FYI, 16-bit mode and layers are not an issue. Look at my today's discovery. My need was to "save as" this picture without using previously written script. Today Photoshop's mood is to saving files as JPG. Tomorrow probably PSD or something else 😄 Fortunately the script is reliable.

MarekSzopinski_1-1666368028909.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to Apple's OS change Adobe had to change the way it saves jpgs. If your OS can handle the old way there is a check box in tje preferences to use the Legacy save as. Otherwise, you can use save as copy, or flatten the file and remove all paths and extra channels. For the script, there is an option to add a flag to save as copy - I just remember, offhand what position it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi-I finally got what was a simple answer to the SAVE AS jpg.. In camera Raw all you have to do is change to 8 bit

PREF..CAMERA RAW>>WORKFLOW..8 bit.   amazing  i wasted 5 days on this problem. the reps on support desk need to know this basic preferences. but good news back to saving jpg in normal manner!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines