• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Scripting HELP! Basic resizing is losing quality and wracking my brain!

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 2020, on a windows 10 machine.

I have searched all sorts of photoshop scripting websites and I cannot seem to find a solution that works. I have a large image (6480x6480 pixels). In photoshop I can manually resize it to 648x648 and the details look well preserved (the 'diamonds' inside the letter T). BUT, when I try to resize using a script, I lose key details, where my 'diamonds' are now blurred out to what looks more like 'chrome'.  fyi: The PSD file is file that applies a text effect (in this case, diamonds) to the inside of whatever you set your text string to be.

If I take my origianl 6480x6480 psd file and zoom till it is down to 10%, I can still see the jewelled diamond detail.

The script line I use to resize is:

app.documents[0].resizeImage (648, 648, 300, ResampleMethod.BICUBICSHARPER);

Even before I save the image as JPEG or PNG, you can already see the detail is lost even though I keep the resolution at 300 pixel/inch!  

--- prior to the code line above, I initially tried this --

app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS; // use pixels

var sfw = new ExportOptionsSaveForWeb();
sfw.format = SaveDocumentType.PNG;
sfw.PNG8 = false; // use PNG-24
sfw.transparency = true;

// a bunch of code that successfully save the full size image and PNG files with NO LOSSES

app.documents[0].layers.getByName("Watermark").visible = true;
app.documents[0].layers.getByName("Background").visible = true;
app.documents[0].resizeImage(600, 600, null, ResampleMethod.BICUBICSHARPER); // width, height
var destFileName = "Blog6006Black.png";
app.documents[0].exportDocument(new File(destFolder + "/" + destFileName), ExportType.SAVEFORWEB, sfw);

... at this point I think I would even be happy with a script that does just a screenshot of my original large file as it appears inside photoshop 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Flatten the image before resizing.

Then resize using this method: "deepUpscale"  instead of "bicubicSharper".

Also for a flat image, try this plugin to reduce the size - https://pm.vogu35.ru/~c3c/plug-ins/c3cimagesize.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chester24394912jtcm 

I doubt that the following AM function will result in anything different, however, it is worth a shot:

imageSize(648, 648, "bicubicSharper");

function imageSize(width, height, resampleMethod) {
	function s2t(s) {
        return app.stringIDToTypeID(s);
    }
	var descriptor = new ActionDescriptor();
	descriptor.putUnitDouble( s2t( "width" ), s2t( "pixelsUnit" ), width );
	descriptor.putUnitDouble( s2t( "height" ), s2t( "pixelsUnit" ), height );
	descriptor.putEnumerated( s2t( "interfaceIconFrameDimmed" ), s2t( "interpolationType" ), s2t( resampleMethod ));
	executeAction( s2t( "imageSize" ), descriptor, DialogModes.NO );
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you effort.  I tried it out, but still got the 'chrome' effect.   

I have literally spent 6 hours on this.  It should be dead simple, but it's not (at least for me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a huge reduction in size, my expectation wouldn't be the same level of detail. 

Can you crop out a relevant section of the high res image for experimentation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See  my response to r-bin below.  My current work-around is to export a 6480x6480 PNG file, have my script read in the PNG, resize it, and spit it out as a PNG. The work-around works (I get good detail in the shrunk down 648x648 PNG file), but I am sure it adds a bit of time to a script that already takes 1 minute 40 seconds to run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using layer effects, then try in the code from Stephen_A_Marsh add the line: descriptor.putBoolean(stringIDToTypeID("scaleStyles"), true);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that extra line made the final result a tiny bit better but still no real detail. 

The detailed image is a screenshot from a PNG file generated from a PSD files that has a file link to the original large PSD and it seems to look fine at an image height of 1624. I could try this at a smaller size, but I find refreshing links SLOW.   The other image is when resizing the original large PSD file down to 648x648 using the extra line of code you recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Flatten the image before resizing.

Then resize using this method: "deepUpscale"  instead of "bicubicSharper".

Also for a flat image, try this plugin to reduce the size - https://pm.vogu35.ru/~c3c/plug-ins/c3cimagesize.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@r-bin - thanks, my test layer didn't contain any effects so I obviously missed that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines