Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop SDK - custom adjustment layer

Engaged ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm in need of developing custom adjustment layer to server my clients/my needs. Does photoshop SDK allow for this now ? I found this question from a while back > Does the Photoshop SDK support custom adjustment layers?

I'm wondering if there is any... update on it?

Regards

Dariusz

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you record adjustments in the Actions Panel?

Creating actions

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not have adjustment I need it to have... so I need to build my own custom adjustment that affect pixels...

I need to do specific pixel manipulation, really its just a very complex hue/sat/curve/expo/etc stuff. But there are no native adjustments from photoshop that are able to provide what I need to develop/provide. It has to be adjustment as we want to see it dynamically affect layer below adjustment & allow for multiple adjustments.

Thats why I'm staying away from effects for now as they are destructive... :- ( 

Any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you misunderstood me.  I said Actions panel with which you record custom adjustments and save them for future use.  Have you ever used the Actions panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you want me to use Actions panel to create complex mathematical eqution to apply per pixel to layers below?

Can I pass GLSL/HSLS source in there? 

I mean, can I create action that creates adjustment layer that executes my glsl/gpu code per pixel on image & user can change blending mode/opacity/etc of adjustment >

Dariusz1989_0-1635983379033.png

Is that a new feature in photoshop? Where can I find it, how can I use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all guesswork as I have no idea what you're trying to do.  😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah sorry, I can be cryptic some times.

Here is example of adjustment layer id like to make that would execute these functions on per pixel basis >

vec3 tonemapFilmic(vec3 x) {
  vec3 X = max(vec3(0.0), x - 0.004);
  vec3 result = (X * (6.2 * X + 0.5)) / (X * (6.2 * X + 1.7) + 0.06);
  return pow(result, vec3(2.2));
}

float tonemapFilmic(float x) {
  float X = max(0.0, x - 0.004);
  float result = (X * (6.2 * X + 0.5)) / (X * (6.2 * X + 1.7) + 0.06);
  return pow(result, 2.2);
}

I would like to have my own grading adjustment layer with code for dynamic workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Thank you for this post.

I've gone over it, quite itneresting... I have to re-read it again. But as far as I can tell its more about level/curve editing that writing a custom glsl/etc shader to run in photoshop.

I dont think that will help me as I need an adjustment node & allow artist to palce it where they want to & set its color values to what they want to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this will work or do what you want, but with scriptListener, you can record creating a curve with the pencil tool. This will give you code to access all 256 values in the curve. Then you take this code and apply your equation to set each point. Up to this point, I know it works, but you then can maybe get the code to convert the curve from penci6mode to the standard mode. Here's a shot of a curve I did using a sine wave formula to change the value of a displacement map.

FB_IMG_1637418887297.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

This is pretty awesome ! 

But also pretty... "not good" as we are dropping down our precision from float/double down to uint8, 0-255... I mean... I need precision. The reason why I want to make custom adjustment layer is because photoshop native tools are quite bad in todays day. 

Can you maybe share source for this ? I saw some snippets here and there for curve control, but in general its a wee dodgy... 

Example would help lots ^^ 

Thank you for help & ideas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will see if I can find my old script for this, later today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look like my idea will work. I can plot curve points using the draw tool via a script, but I can't get the code to convert that to a point edit curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump :- )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not write a custom filter and apply it to Smart Objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have psb files with 500 layers. No1 is going to "flatten the comp to smart object it up to apply a filter". 

We need a proper custom adjustment layer that we can develop/use. 

It has to be dynamic layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does the SDK include an adjustment layer object? If not then you are probably out of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines