• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop SO SLOW after update to IOS Ventura

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok-- So, for a few years now I had been using Photoshop 2019. I had my full set-up, brushes, etc. The reason I had used that version for so long was because I had tried updated previously, but would always run into performance issues.

A few months ago, I made the mistake of updating my Mac to IOS Ventura. Since then, photoshop has been horribly slow. Version 2019 became completely unusable as it is no longer supported. any time I'd try to use the brush, the entire screen would go white. So I tried upgrading to various versions only to find that they were all buggy and nothing performed as smoothly as what I had grown accustomed to. I've tried reconfiguring the performance preferences to no avail. The brush moves slow, there's major lag anytime I try to change brightness or saturation or free transform, If I drag the mouse off screen it will pan endlessly, etc. These are issues I never had when using Photoshop 2019 on the previous IOS, but no matter what I do, I can't get back to the level of performance.

I called the helpdesk to see if they had any solutions. They ran me through everything I had already tried-- adjusting the performance preferences, trying different versions, restarting my computer. And there were minor improvements, but it didn't take long to notice issue after issue.

It's driving me crazy. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is there a way to walk back the IOS update? Is there a way to download an older, unsupported version of Photoshop?

This is my livelihood and I really just need this program to function properly. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you restore your preferences using this manual method does it work correctly?
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of PS is super fast on my Mac (albeit an M1) under Ventura. 

What's you hardware?

Might want to download this free utility and run:

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add to this - I am using the latest Photoshop on a brand new Mac Pro running Ventura. Photoshop is utterly appalling to use. Dreadful. Every single click results in a micro delay before anything happens, text and graphics break up, movements are slow and jerky, the text leaves artefacts all over the screen (vertical lines) when I move it with free transform - and the only way to remove them is to move the text again and hope it doesn't happen a second time. The eyedropper tool makes its little circle shape... and then leaves it on the screen!!!!! Click again, another circle shape dumped somewhere else on the canvas.

Is Photoshop actually capable of running under an M1 chip? Because I am seriously considering cancelling my sub and moving to Affinity and Resolve. I seriously don't need this 90's style bugginess in my life after using Photoshop as a professional since day one. It's an appalling joke that my 12 year old iMac running Mavericks and Photoshop 6 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster and smoother than Photoshop 2023 on Ventura.

I might add that, yes, I have tried all the so-called "fixes", from increasing available RAM to switching off the graphics processor, switching off multithreaded compositing, reducing the history states, literally everything has been tried including a sad and desperate "switch off the rulers." You know you're doomed when you're doing stuff like that.

Does Photoshop actually work any more? Is its time over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all understand this is frustrating, but we don't see the behavior you describe, so there must be something that is different with your system. Other M1 users aren't seeing this either.

On the other hand, a bug is something that happens some of the time to some of the users; not all the time to all the users.

Now, all the symptoms you describe are very typically GPU-related. On Windows I'd say update the driver or worst case replace the card. The problem here is that the GPU is embedded in the CPU, and the GPU driver is embedded in MacOS. So you're pretty much at the mercy of off-the-shelf performance, nothing much else you can do.

The only thing you can do for now is to check "Deactivate Native Canvas", to revert the GPU from Metal to OpenGL code.

Still, post fyll system info (Help > System Info; paste the whole thing in a reply), and maybe engineering can spot a problem.

Can a moderator move this from Discussions to Bugs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: Did you definitely restart Photoshop after turning off »Use Graphics Processor«? 

Have you gone over this? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Because I am seriously considering cancelling my sub and moving to Affinity and Resolve.

You should probably do what you deem best. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've done all this. I also posted up my System Info elsewhere on this forum but nothing was noticed. On the matter of being at the mercy of off-the-shelf performance, I note that everyone else running M1 is as well, and they apparently are having no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I too am having this issue, but on an Intel based iMac. Was checking some forums to see if there were any solutions. Adobe Creative Cloud has worked great for me on Monterey, but has become unbearably slow when upgrading to Ventura. Looking at other forums, there are others that have the same issue, so it's definitely not rare. I'll try some of the solutions proposed on this thread to see if it helps performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines