My photoshop stuck on hand tool and I can't use any other tool

Thanks

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Hi HusseinEddeb,

Sorry that Photoshop is not working as expected as the Hand tool is getting stuck. Which version of Photoshop are you using?

Could you please reset the Hand tool and let us know if that helps the cause? Check out the steps below:

• Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac OS) the Tool Preset Picker in the Tool options bar and choose Reset Tool to reset the active tool, or choose Reset All Tools to reset all tools to their factory default settings.

Reset Tool option in Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Did you try Shift + spacebar ? I had same problem and it worked for me on MacBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart your computer and test.

Reset the PS Preferences. Preferences in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HusseinEddeb,

Sorry that Photoshop is not working as expected as the Hand tool is getting stuck. Which version of Photoshop are you using?

Could you please reset the Hand tool and let us know if that helps the cause? Check out the steps below:

• Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac OS) the Tool Preset Picker in the Tool options bar and choose Reset Tool to reset the active tool, or choose Reset All Tools to reset all tools to their factory default settings.

Reset Tool option in Photoshop CC 18.0 and earlier:

Choose 'Reset Tool' to fix unexpected results when using a tool

Reset Tool in Photoshop CC 19.0 and later:Choose 'Reset Tool' to fix unexpected results when using a tool

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After almost three years of this comment, it was so helpful for me. I had the same problem. I never had it before. My photoshop app got stuck in the Hand Tool and i wasn't able to select other. I tried what you said, selected the Hand Tool and went to it's preferences and selected the "reset tool" option and evrything is working just fine now. I appreciate your comment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Hey mate, just helped another one! Thank you for this comment! I just didn't know what to do anymore! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all that a number of times to no avail. The problem started a couple of day ago. I reinstalled photoshop, blahblah. Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Shift + spacebar ? I had same problem and it worked for me on MacBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!!Thank YOU SO MUCH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me too and this fixed it for me.

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all that a number of times to no avail. The problem started a couple of day ago. I reinstalled photoshop, blahblah. Please help

By @searlaid

You need to start a new thread with your issue.  Your post is getting lost in this thread, and as we are several versions of Photoshop later, it is likely that the cause of your issue is not related to this one.  

So start a new thread.

Give us your Photoshop and operating system versions.

Tell us a bit about your system spec. Describe in detail what is happening and when it happens, and what actions you have so far tried in order to fix it.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO! This is not solved! I have a new Photoshop install (25.0) and have reset the hand tool several times but it still gets stuck in the hand tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 1st try to Restart your photoshop.

or try to reset photoshop preferences.

Go to Edit>Preferences>General>Reset preferences on Quit.

Selecting the new Reset Preferences On Quit option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would also be helpful if you explained exactly what you are seeing and what tool you are trying to select that makes you think PS is stuck on the Hand Tool.

Try selecting the Crop tool or the Text tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding this is constantly happening and resetting does nothing whatsoever. Quitting Photoshop and rebooting usually works for a brief while but then all tools become the hand. I’m using the latest Mac OS & latest Photoshop on a Mac Studio computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! Let me know if you find a solution, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exact same situation here. Updated Photoshop, restarted it, no change. Hand tool for everything. Resetting tools does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tom gore wrote:

I’m using the latest Mac OS & latest Photoshop on a Mac Studio computer.

Can you check Apple menu > System Preferences > Accessibility > Full Keyboard Access? One user reported that enabling this changed the behavior of the Spacebar in all applications. In Photoshop the Spacebar is the shortcut for the Hand tool.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, full keyboard access was not activated. I opened Illustrator and had the same problem, all tools were the hand tool. But I opened After Effects and the tools are working normally and the hand tool engages only when I press the space bar.

The problem started suddenly while I was working in Photoshop. I hadn't done anything notable to activate the problem that I can remember.

I am on a brand new Mac Studio with Monterey and a fresh Photoshop update. I've disconnected peripherals and disabled shortcut and input apps.

When I click on a tool, the options for that tool light up. For example when I click brushes, the palette of brushes activates. But I've got nothing but hand tool. Pressing ctrl gives me the magnifying glass menu, option gives me a zoom out magnifying glass, command gives me a zoom in magnifying glass. I checked peripherals for a stuck button or key.

I haven't rebooted the computer because I'm working on other things, but I've restarted Photoshop several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue for me. Happened suddenly without warning. Nothing fixes it. 

Working on a deadline here. Any help would be appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update to Monterey 12.4 required a reboot. Afterwards I opened Photoshop just to see and it seems (for now) the issue is resolved. I don't know if it was the update or the reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem..I am a photographer and CANNOT WORK!!~!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try shift+spacebar ... it works .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines