My photoshop stuck on hand tool and I can't use any other tool

Thanks

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Hi HusseinEddeb,

Sorry that Photoshop is not working as expected as the Hand tool is getting stuck. Which version of Photoshop are you using?

Could you please reset the Hand tool and let us know if that helps the cause? Check out the steps below:

• Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac OS) the Tool Preset Picker in the Tool options bar and choose Reset Tool to reset the active tool, or choose Reset All Tools to reset all tools to their factory default settings.

Reset Tool option in Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Did you try Shift + spacebar ? I had same problem and it worked for me on MacBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this worked!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, but the problem persists. Nothing fixes it. The Hand tool (drag) is stuck in both Illustrator and Photoshop on a MacBook Air M1 (macOS Monterey, Version 12.4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, it's back.

A restart solved it earlier today, but now again, for seemingly no reason, I'm locked into the hand tool. I don't want to restart my computer over and over, I'm trying to work. It's pretty frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. If I restart my Mac, it goes away. But then comes back. I suspect it's interfering with another app, but still have not found out which one it is. Here's a list of all the apps on my Mac (let me know if we have some in common):

- AdGuard for Safari
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Adobe Illustrator 2022
- Adobe Photoshop 2022
- Affinity Designer
- Affinity Photo
- Amphetamine
- AnyDesk
- AppCleaner
- Applications
- Bitwarden
- Brave Browser
- CAD快速看图
- CAI
- Calendar.webloc
- Camo Studio
- CheatSheet
- CleanShot X
- Cloudflare WARP
- CommandQ
- DeepL
- Ears
- Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Google Docs
- Google Drive
- Google Earth Pro
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
- Grammarly Desktop
- Hemingway Editor
- Hidden Bar
- iA Writer
- IINA
- LanguageTool
- LensOCR
- Luminar AI
- MacUpdater
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Word
- MonitorControl
- Mos
- NordVPN
- Notion
- OnyX
- PDF Squeezer
- Pictogram
- Pixelmator Pro
- Plex Media Server
- Raycast
- Safari
- Silicon
- Silicon Info
- SoundSource
- Spotify
- Stremio
- Super Vectorizer Pro
- Surfshark
- TeamViewer
- Telegram
- The Unarchiver
- Transmission
- Twitter
- URL Extractor 4
- Utilities
- Vector Magic
- Vimac
- Xnapper
- zoom.us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultkl6zbmiukexf

did you manage to solve it? Do you have any apps in common with the list below that I provided?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@user7215432 

Not too much overlap with what I'm using. I basically don't leave other apps running while I'm in Photoshop for fear of getting locked up. It did lock up when I was running PS, Spotify, Chrome, and BetterTouchTool. I'd really like someone from Adobe to hunt down the issue, I'm losing productivity on restarting and treading lightly on apps that I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the trigger. I use option+spacebar as a shortcut for Spotify and I think that's what's locking me into the hand tool. Tapping space bar (as suggested below) doesn't unlock it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Mac Mini M1. MacOS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68). I get the hand tool. I can click on any other tool, and it highlights, and the options show at the top. But the cursor and functionality are still the hand tool; can't actually do anything in Photoshop but scroll around an image.
Shift+space does nothing, "Reset Tool Options" and "Reset All Tool Options" do nothing, quitting and restarting Photoshop do nothing.

Same thing in AI - neither program is usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is becoming the daily standard. I reboot many times a day, have nothing running except Photoshop but still the hand tool persists and I cannot work. Latest Mac OS 12.4, latest build of Photoshop 23.4.1 on a Mac Studio computer. My work flow has ground to a halt, I’ve tried every suggestion but the issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I've moved to Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for most tasks, and now only open PS and AI for a certain tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, and Adobe is doing nothing about it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TAP spacebar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FAB FAB FAB!!!!!! you have just saved my sanity. After days of rebooting and updating, somthing so simple worked sraight away!!!! Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be related to the system shortcuts for Spotlight search? If they are enabled try turning them off.

System Preferences / Spotlight / Keyboard Shortcuts... /

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same scenario after Apple updated to Monterey, nothing I did would allow me to use any tool, the hand was visible constantly.  The issue was resolved with a restart of the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tap the space bar. For some reason, I the hand cursor did not go away when I pressed the space bar. I did it again and got my regular tool back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with hand tool. Tapping spacebar of macbook as opposed to external keyboard unblocked it for me. The frustration !! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift+Spacebar did the trick for me .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

try to use this setting in shortcuts, it worked for me

Screenshot_4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was JUST going through this very annoying issue. I have a Macbook pro connected to two external monitors, PS is usually on my right screen. I realized that the layer style window was popping up underneath a different app on the left screen, and that is why it was stuck on hand tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very random, but when I use the space bar to bring up the 'hand' drag tool, it often sticks with the dragging action AFTER releasing the space bar. I have to click something to bring it out of this limbo and back to my chosen tool.
It's been going on for many months and isn't something that would crash the software, but it is pretty annoying as I have no idea what causes it. Finally got it off my chest, please fix.

Version: 25.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still not resolved.

If the canvas were glued to the artist's hand while drawing, the artist would not be able to paint.

This problem is very serious for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anyone else experiencing this problem, how are you doing? I have this problem gone in the latest version. The only thing that has changed is that Windows 10 has been upgraded to Windows 11. If people using Windows 10 still experience the same problem even with the latest version of Photoshop, Adobe should notify them that it does not support troubleshooting for this bug in the Windows 10 environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines