Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Photoshop suddenly loses function

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new Windows laptop and installed all my creative suit in it, and I noticed a annoying problem while using Photoshop: sometimes when I press ALt+Tab to check something in a different software, like a browser or something, when I get back to PS it got completely useless. The tools keyboard shortcuts don't work anymore and it don't even allows me to click on menu or anything. At least the save command still works and I get to save my work and restart the program, but this is realling bothering me. The specs on my laptop are top of the line and I've already configured the performance to maximum usage of memory, so I really don't know what else to do.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without exact info about the system we can't tell you much. There may still be a configuration issue and your graphics driver could crash or enter an energy saving mode. Preventing PS from functioning. It is really unlikely that this is something solely attributable to PS and chances are you would see it with other apps as well. Mind you, not saying that this couldn't be a bug, but based on my 30 years of using PCs these things tend to be more complex.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, let me try to give more details. My sistem is a Windows 10 Laptop with an i7 10th Gen processor, 16gb ram and a RTX2070 graphics card. I used to work with a 2018 Macbook Pro and had no issues regarding performance, and I believe my current system is equivalent or even better than my previous.

As I said, the main issue here is that the software crashes all of a sudden when I switch between apps - sometimes it crashes even when I'm switching tools, like rotation. But it's curious that it doesn't actually crashes, I can see the tools getting switched when I pressed the keyboard shortcuts, and I can save my work before restarting the program. I just can't use anything in canvas, the windows arrow just stands there, it doesn't change to a brush, for example.

I've already reinstalled PS, uptaded my graphics card driver and tested on other Adobe softwares like Illustrator and didn't notice any troubles like this.

I know PCs are a lot more complex than MacOS, but this is the first time I experience something like that - and I've just found out another annoying issue: I'm now unable to rename layers and groups. When I double click on it, it quits the naming input in the fraction of a second and I can't rename it - only by going to Layer Menu/Rename. I can live with the first issue, it seems to work fine just by quitting and reopening the software, but the renaming problem is really annoying.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like another background app is steeling focus for the shortcuts.  Nvidia Geforce can do this, but not to that extent.  Are you running anything with app specific settings like a gamming mouse or keyboard?  Some of them work better than others with Logitech being the most problematic IME.

Open Task Manager and look for suspect processes and End them one at a time and test each time.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also bought a dell G3 32gb ram gtx1680 4gb video card and Photoshop has not worked properly. My computer is new has 2 weeks of use. Before windows I used MAC and when I migrated to Windows started following saving errors and problems with smart objects. I wonder why photoshop is bad to use in windows?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines