Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop suddenly only displays generic adjustment symbol in layer palette

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a subscription for the Adobe CC Master Collection, and worked quite a lot with photoshop. Today, when an update of several applications in the suite was done, all of a sudden the icons for the adjustments in the layer palette have changed to the generic adjustment symbol, while before they displayed the individual icon for the specific adjustment for that layer.

I found a peculiarity - when I enlarge the thumbnails in the palette to "medium" size, the specific symbols are displayed properly - but when I switch back to "small" thumbnails (as I have always used) - the icons again become generic. I have provided a couple of images for illustration.

2018-03-13_19-33-04.png  2018-03-13_19-33-56.png

I hope this can be resolved as I am not happy for using those bigger thumbnails taking up too much space, as I typically work with pictures with a quite substantial number of layers.

In the meantime, I'm now reverting to the previous version - hoping that it still works as before.

Thanks in advance. Best regards.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop? My version (19.1.1 for Mac) still shows the specific thumbnails when I set the size to small. Only when I set it to 'none' they become generic.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for the quick response.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm working on the Windows version - with Windows 10. The Photoshop update was ver. 19.1.2

An update: I have now reverted to the 19.1.1 - and it seems to work as expected again - at least for new documents; however, when I open existing Photoshop documents, the adjustment layers are now shown with the generic symbol - very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like something broken.  As with Johan, I see the proper icons with all thumb sizes other than none.   With things like that, you'd probably be best to go straight to a Preference reset, and if that fails, a reinstall.

I am wondering if they have changed the UI in recent versions?  I use three screens with the outer two set in portrait mode, as it lets me have full length panels.  I am sure there used to be a limit, but Layers and History will now overflow the available screen area (1920 pixels)

[EDIT]  FYI I am also using Windows 10 and the most recent version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now tried to completely uninstall Photoshop, removing any personal settings etc. and reinstalling the 19.1.1 version - to no avail; it still behaves the same.

Quite unacceptable that Adobe doesn't do a decent job of testing out the consequences of their updates before sending them out; we are not speaking about cheap products but premium high-end products with high end pricing. There shouldn't be such flaws in the updates they send out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I see exactly the same as you in CC version 19.1.2 on Windows 10.
Layer size options "none" or "small" show the generic icon , "medium" and "large" show the specific adjustment icons.

I use three monitors , each 1920 x 1080 and have Windows UI scaling set to 100%

A preference reset makes no difference

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly; I just tried to make a system restore (it turned out that my system had generated an automatic restore point few days ago). But even that didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File a bug report at feedback.photoshop.com

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just checked back - this is not new . Here is a screenshot I took in 2016 (Photoshop CC2015.5)

It is exactly the same with small icon size :

So for me , I am seeing the same behaviour as you when the layer options are set to small icons,  but no recent change with new versions

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very weird; for quite a bit of time I've had those correct individual icons - even with the "small" setting. It's first after the update today that the error has arisen. And, as mentioned, even restoring the system to an earlier restore point doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the answer.

If the layer panel option is set to small and the aspect ratio of the thumbnail image is wide then the generic icon shows as there is not the height to include the detail icon alongside the

If the layer panel option is set to small and the aspect ratio of the thumbnail image is narrower (see square example below)  then the detail icon shows as there is enough height to include the detail icon

So no bug - just dependant on the aspect ratio of the thumbnail which is in turn dependant on the aspect ratio of the image

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the post. However, in my case the issue occurs on pictures I have been working on for quite a while, where it until the update worked seamlessly, but now suddenly shows the generic icon instead. Besides, I have a lot of pictures with the same issue, and they all share the same aspect ratio - however, when I create new pictures with an identical aspect ratio like those pictures, the correct icons are shown properly in the new document, while the generic icon still is shown in the old pictures.

Furthermore, until the update yesterday, it has worked without problems for any picture I've been working with - independent on aspect ratio, size, whether the picture was rectangular, square, or whatever. First after the update from yesterday the problem showed up.

Lasse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to reproduce it

New document set-up in Portrait, icons are fine

Untitled1.jpg

New document set-up in Landscape = generic icons

Untitled2.jpg

Creating a new doc 1500W * 1051H px icons are fine

Creating a new doc 1500W * 1050H px icons are generic

Changing the Thumbnail size to large fixes the issue as Dave mentioned above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it is worth a mention on the Feedback site or Pre-release forums.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, previous versions worked the same way. When thumbnails are set to small, whether you get the full icon or generic icon depends on the thumbnail shape. As soon as it goes past a certain aspect ratio (i.e. becomes wider compared to height) then the panel switches to the generic icons in order to fit in the space.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure that I understand you. As mentioned, up until yesterday update, everything worked seamlessly, and all pictures - regardless of size, shape, aspect ratio or whatever, used the specific symbols correctly. But after the update, the problem arose - several of the pictures I notice the problem on now, are pictures where the icons were displayed correctly before the update.

Lasse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issues but am now back to normal by changing the "thumbnail size".
It seems the default thumbnail setting of the 24.3 update is "None"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines