• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Threshold Function Decreasing Image Resolution

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. I have been using the threshold effect in photoshop and found that it has decreased the resolution of the images when I go to print them (Print size - 3000 x 2700mm; Original Image size - 250 x 221 mm, 3456 x 3051 px at 350 ppi).

What is the best way to preserve image resolution using the threshold function, for the purpose of printing at large scale?  

Thank you. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing in a threshold adjustment that can change the pixel size or ppi of an image, so if you are seeing that change, another step is responsible.

Please supply the following :

1. What version of Photoshop are you using (check in Help>System info)

2. What is the image size (in pixels) immediately before you use a threshold adjustment (check using Image >Image Size)

3. What is the image size (in pixels) immediately after you use a threshold adjustment (check using Image >Image Size)

4. Please show a screenshot of your print dialogue , ensuring scaling is off in that dialogue

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, 

Thank you for your response and apologies for my delay in getting back to you. Please find requested info below: 

1. Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.2.0 20210202.r.183 2021/02/02

2. Image size 4608px x 3456px (before threshold) 

3. Image size 4608px x 3456px (after threshold) 

4. Please see attached image. 

Thank you again for your help and please let me know if you need any more info. 

Best,

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lines 2 and 3 in your reply give the answer. The size of the image is unchanged before and after the threshold adjustment.

Your print dialogue shows the correct physical size in cm for the pixel size converted at 350ppi. 

So, I don't see any issues in the data you have provided.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" threshold effect" and "threshold function"

Can you explain further or post screenshot to ensure that we understand what are you doing in Photoshop. As @davescm stated above, there is treshold adjustment in Photoshop, are you reffering to that adjsutment or something else?

I never experienced change in image dimensions and resolution regardless of which filter/adjustment was used in the document. This part is not very clear: (Print size - 3000 x 2700mm; Original Image size - 250 x 221 mm, 3456 x 3051 px at 350 ppi)  It appears your print size is 12X of original image? Photoshop on its own has lowered resolution to 30ppi or similar?

Simple fix is to visit Image > Image Size, uncheck Resample and change Resolution back to 350 or any other desired number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bojan

Thank you for your help and apologies for the confusing terminology, I think it is the adjustment. The workflow I have been using is Image > Adjustments > Threshold. Please see below a screenshot of the function. I will also try unchecking resample as you have suggested. 

Best 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You show the Threshold Dialog with the image's Luminosity histogram Where is the images its turning into pure Black and White no Grays? It is a very destructive change.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines