• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Tools Not Working

Engaged ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had some specific instances where Photoshop tools simply don't work.  Right now nothing I try works.  I'm on the latest version of Photoshop 24.1.1 on Windows 11.  I tried restarting the program.  I restarted my computer.  Here's a specific example.  I'm using the patch tool which I use a lot.  This time, it tells me that the area I am selecting is empty.  In the example I am showing, the area selected is the branches on the left of the snipped image.  My snip doesn't show the selected area.  When I move the selected area using the patch tool, I get the error message.  Obviously, my selected area is not empty.  Anyone have an idea what is going on.  Photoshop right now is pretty much unuseable for me.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

That error message usually appears if there's a new layer above the image layer and that empty layer is what is selected in the Layers panel when you try to use the Patch Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That error message usually appears if there's a new layer above the image layer and that empty layer is what is selected in the Layers panel when you try to use the Patch Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myra, thanks for responding.  What you are saying makes sense.  Right now, the patch tool is working for me.  Next time I have a problem, I'll check if I have an empty layer.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome. 🙂

If you happen to notice getting a similar error message with any of the selection tools, you can select the Sample All Layers setting in the Options bar (Window > Options) while the empty layer is still selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I spoke too soon.  The patch tool is working but the clone tool and eraser tool are not.  I checked and there is only one layer.  It says "background".  The clone tool frequently does not work for me.  I pick a place to clone from and when I cover another area with the mouse, it appears to make a change.  When I move the mouse away, the change is not made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the tools are not acting like they should, you might try resetting your preferences:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I tried that.  We'll see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried that. It didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines