• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop using a different color than the stated

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a setting in my computer, but as shown in the image, when checking with the Windows PowerToys color picker it says it is a different color than the one selected. I was able to confirm this by the difference in color showing on the website where the pictures were published, the difference is very subtle but it is there. The BG color of the website is fefaf0 and the image is still fffdf2 or 3.

Any ideas on what could be happening here?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Thanks for all the replies and masterclass on color management!

For other users having the same problem, I solved it by changing the color settings (Edit>Color Settings) to North America Web/Internet. Make sure that in the Color Management Policies, RGB is set to Convert to Working RGB.
This won't show any effect if you have your image opened.
Make a copy of your file and when you try to open it again in PS it will ask you to convert it. 

That's what worked for me. Now the color picked in PS matche

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your color profile settings in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The North America General purpose 2 preset, and mode is RGB 16 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "other" application must be color managed and the data tagged in a color space if you expect to see it match Photoshop which is color managed. Photoshop is correct. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregarding the info provided by the color picker, shouldn't it still match the bg on the website? The bg is fefaf0 and that's the color I'm picking in PS, but they don't match...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A hex colour code only has meaning in the context of a specific colour space. So for example the same code represents different colours in sRGB and AdobeRGB  or in any other colour space.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any insights on how my settings should be to show the correct colors on web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any insights on how my settings should be to show the correct colors on web?

By @daasaced

Color managed browsers with data that has a scale (embedded profile). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How could I translate this into actions to get the right colors on the website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the replies and masterclass on color management!

For other users having the same problem, I solved it by changing the color settings (Edit>Color Settings) to North America Web/Internet. Make sure that in the Color Management Policies, RGB is set to Convert to Working RGB.
This won't show any effect if you have your image opened.
Make a copy of your file and when you try to open it again in PS it will ask you to convert it. 

That's what worked for me. Now the color picked in PS matches the BG (checked with the color picker, I haven't uploaded it yet.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregarding the info provided by the color picker, shouldn't it still match the bg on the website? The bg is fefaf0 and that's the color I'm picking in PS, but they don't match...

By @daasaced

No, because without color management, the scale of the numbers have no known meaning. True in RGB or CMYK and just about everything expect Lab. 

R50/G90/B46 is a different color in sRGB vs. Adobe RGB vs. ProPhoto RGB even though they all have the same numbers. Just as 10 isn't the same distance in miles or meters. Add meters (or miles), now "10" has a scale. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can see the browser info confirming the fefaf0 (Bottom right) and the color picker showing the right color, and you can also see the difference of color with the picture.

Writing the exact same color in the color picker in photoshop shows a different color, as you can see in the other attached screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose to use non-colour managed apps, then you can't guarantee anything much about colour matching. That's the whole point of colour management. But you can narrow the odds by working in sRGB and avoiding the fancy wide gamut monitors.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines