• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop using the wrong graphics card (Dual GPU PC with multiple monitors)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago I had a problem with photoshop where OpenGL didn't work and the canvas showed some display glitches, which was initially solved by updating both graphic card drivers (since one of them was outdated) But now I ran onto a similirar problem.

My two monitors are connected to my Nvdia GTX 1650 card while my drawing tablet is conected to my AMD processor with integrated graphics. I need photoshop to use the same card as the tablet so everything works fine, but photoshop is always trying to use the Nvidia card by default, which causes display glitches and makes OpenGL stop working. I found a quick fix that only works until photoshop is restarted, which is to disable nvidia card while opening photoshop and reenableing it again afterwards, but its a kind of annoying process and I have to do it every single time I open Photoshop.

So my quwstios is... Is there a way to force Photoshop to use a certain graphics card forever? I beleive my way is also causing a bit of lag withing photoshop, but I'll be happy if I solved this problem first. 

Thanks a lot in advance

(I leave below the screenshots of photoshop using both graphics cards one at a time, showing its posiible to do it but I don't know how to make it choose one graphiscs card permanently)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to choose GPU in Photoshop. Dual graphics has been a well known and well published problem for many years, and if there was a way, it would have been implemented long ago.

Photoshop (and many other advanced content-creating applications) uses the GPU for actual data processing, and the result returned to Photoshop for further processing. You can't send data to one GPU and get it back from the other. It's not a one directional downstream flow like it is in simpler applications, gaming etc.

The official advice is to completely disable the less powerful integrated GPU. See section 6 & 7 here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An integrated graphics card is usually not nearly as powerful as an external graphics card. That's why Photoshop always uses the NVidia card.

In my opinion you should use the NVidia card only and disable the internal GPU in Windows' device manager.

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues (adobe.com)

See step 7 in section  "GPU and graphic driver troubleshooting steps"

You also make sure that you have installed the latest Nvidia driver (Studio version) for the graphic card.

NVIDIA Studio Driver | 528.49 | Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11 | NVIDIA

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I agree with what Dag and Axel have posted, with one caveat: the nVidia drivers posted after November have been known to cause issues, so, in this case, it might be wise to roll back

But maybe those that Axel are more recent than the problematic ones, unfortunately, the latest info was that the latest also caused problems, we'll have to wait for the US to be up for up to date information...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines