Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop V22.1 - HEIC Support

Enthusiast ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIF/HEIC

Modern camera devices provide the capability to capture HEIF/.heic photos.

macOS - Photoshop supports HEIF/.heic files running on macOS High Sierra v10.13 or later.
    Windows - To successfully view and edit HEIF/.heic files into Photoshop, download and install both of the HEIF and HEVC CODECs directly from Microsoft.

-----------------------------------------------------

that´s from the info to the PS 22.1 update.

the HEVC codec on the microsoft store is 99 cent.

that´s the one windows user need to install?

adobe was not able to provide proper HEVC/HEIC support on its own?

you do know that many people don´t have and want a MS store account?

i have the HEIC extention installed (it is free and installs without a MS store account) but photoshop won´t open HEIC files. there is no SAVE option in the SAVE AS dialog.

so i guessed it is because i don´t have the HEVC extention installed?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEVC codec is licensed and therefore requires the Microsoft download

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah i know that.

adobe is obviously to cheap and was not willing to pay for a license it seems.

they rather let their customer pay for something other applications offer for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More likely there have been licencing issues in the past (look them up) and they don't want to get their fingers burnt.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a multi-billion dollar company like adobe can not do it but smaller ones have no issues.

when will people stop finding excused for greedy companys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-heic-support/5f5f45d14b561a3d426131...

if we, thr customers have to pay for it anyway, the time it took for adobe to implement HEIF is even more  ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

don't have this issue on my MAC; only WIN devices. Lack of support for WIN platform is ridiculous. Neither solutions from Microsoft or Adobe work with their instructions for installing the necessar extensions for HEIC or HEIF. These folks are wasting my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blame Microsoft for not making this an open source format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol ... adobe has developed plenty of none open formats.

that´s some kind of joke?

i blame adobe.

look at other companys who can support HEIF/HEIC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw: it´s apple development, not microsoft.

yeah microsoft could pay for it but then... microsoft window is an OS.... not a image editing program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aeh.. Moving Picture Experts Group is the developer. apple was just the first big company to implement it.

ps: why is the editing feature not working in this forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - and the licensing is not simple, a consortium of companies own the rights (Adobe is not one of them).

Microsoft indicated support for HEVC in Windows 10 but removed it and made it a paid download in 2017

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - none of us get paid to be here. We are volunteer users not Adobe employees

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just read that capture one v21 is supporting HEIC.

i am not sure if it also relys on downloading and paying for the HEVC codec from microsoft.

but i will install the trial and test it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tanja –

It seems you'd be wasting your time... It is exactly the same setup there:

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016552258-HEIF-HEIC-file-format

"...support[s] 8-bit HEIF files to the extent that those are supported by the underlying operating system.

NOTE: Users running Windows might need to download the two extensions “HEVC Video Extensions” and “HEIF Image Extensions” from Microsoft to enable HEIF/HEIC support in Capture One."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Store as well.

The first codec is free and the second costs 99¢.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, 

Have any of you managed to open HEIF files coming from the Iphone 12?
I downloaded and installed both windows plugins, and surely I'm able to open some files that I found in Internet but not the photos I'm taking.
Here's an example the one in the left will have no problem to open unlikely the one in the right.
As far as I can see the only diferences between these two files is the capital letters.Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that's a peculiar thesis... Did you try renaming each of those files to have extensions in the opposite case, and then see what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same result. 
I know that Adobe has support for the Iphone 12, because the DNG files will recognize the lenses and open without a problem. So the problem seems to be just with the HEIC files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if there is an updated codec version for HEIC that isn't widely available yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree.  "Supporting" a file format to me says that you should be able to open, edit, and save in that "supported" format.  Come on Adobe, move your butts.  And I'll probably get someone to reply saying "why would you ever want to save in that format anyway?"  It doesn't matter why I want to do it, if you say it's supported, then support it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @egeorge96,

If you have a feature request for Photoshop (like to be able to write HEIC/.heif files in addition reading & editing them), then you can submit a product idea here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/idea-photoshop

It helps to be specific about what you are asking and why, with examples... The feature request will be logged in the system for Adobe developers and then voted on by other users for potential implementation in a future release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you read the thread you see that the feature was already requested, 5 years ago in 2017.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-heic-support/idi-p/12248752

and when i remember right i saw request for HEIF/HEIC support in the feedback forum a decade ago.

not sure what happend to the photoshop feedback forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open/read support in Photoshop on Windows was added in December 2020 (PS version 22.1).

Open/read support was already native on Mac.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you are asking specifically for the ability to write or save in the HEIC/.heif format as well... That seems to be the implication, anyway. Hence the suggestion to make that specific request of the PS deveopers now, if that's important to you.

BTW, the Photoshop feedback forum was merged into the Community forums here last year. So there are separate ticket types now for discussions (like this one), bug reports, and ideas / new feature requests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines