• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop v23.0 problem merging spot channels

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new release of Photoshop (v23.0)when merging spot color channels the color result is different than the previous version (v22.5.2). Considering I'm expexting to get the same result (working on an old document), it's a problem... I got back to Photoshop 2021

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Hey everybody, wanted to share some insight into this issue that hopefully will answer your questions.

It is correct that you can see differences in the merged results between v22 and v23. However, the merged results in v22 (and earlier versions of Ps) were incorrect. The merged results now produced with Ps v23 (and later) are actually the right results, but unfortunately they are different.

The differences you are seeing are real, but not a bug. It is the result of fixing a previous bug wit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post your source PSD with the two spot channels you're merging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the file.  I merge all the layers together.  The last one (with 0% solidity) is the problematic one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, did you get the file and being able to reproduce?  Do you have any clue about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,  are you working on this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't repro. I merged the channels in PS 2021 and 2021, then did a difference layer and the results are the same. (See attached files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if anything is going on about this.  It's still a problem for us!  Does the file I sent is showing the problem clear enough?  Here is a new one for you.  Juste look at the name of the channels (it's the CMYK value of the spot color).  When merging in Photoshop 2023, it become something else with very different values...  in Photoshop 2022 it's keeping the original values.  Please tell me if you can see the problem and if anybody is workin on it.  We are expecting an issue soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pinging @J453 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce the difference between 22 and 23 (with identical Color Settings) with »source en channels low res.psd«. 

It seems to affect the first blue on its own right away, not the first pink, though. 

Disabling GPU doesn’t seem to make a difference, either. 

But the difference does not seem to arise in RGB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you c.pfaffenbichler.  I'm glad to know that the problem is quite clear.  What is the next step now?  As working in RGB is not an option for us and we are working with documents many years after their conception, they have to repeat the same using the "merge" action.  Is anybody from Adobe will work to solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody from Adobe will work to solve it?

Unfortunately only an Adobe employee could definitely tell you, I guess. 

@PECourtejoie already pinged @J453, so we can hope that he will look into it again. 

But even if he does there are no guarantees about a timeline for a possible bug-fix even if it happens. 

Bugs that affect only a small number of Photoshop users … I expect you can guess the rest. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this problem with RGB.  have you found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a basic file (source solid colors) without gradients so it will be easier to talk about cmyk values variations.  I've put also a screenshoot of the channels value and comparative visuals of every CMYK channels (v22 is upper and v23 is under).  The v22 version is keeping the same CMYK values after merging the channels and v23 don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can moderator convert this discussion into a bug post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can moderator convert this discussion into a bug post?

By @Stephen_A_Marsh

Moved to bug section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everybody, wanted to share some insight into this issue that hopefully will answer your questions.

It is correct that you can see differences in the merged results between v22 and v23. However, the merged results in v22 (and earlier versions of Ps) were incorrect. The merged results now produced with Ps v23 (and later) are actually the right results, but unfortunately they are different.

The differences you are seeing are real, but not a bug. It is the result of fixing a previous bug with how spot channels were merged in CMYK based docs.

Sharing a file that shows this... notice how far off the colors are from the bottom-middle result. All of these images should be reasonably close to the same and only limited by their respective color spaces/profile gamuts.

SpotChannelMergeComparison.png

Thanks everyone, hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

below is a screen shot of merging my spot channels into an rgb image the top image is spot channels the below image is merged to rgb

.Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 4.55.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines