• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop w upgrades?

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I have Apple Mac w- high Sierra, 10.13.6. 
    and my Photoshop is version CS 5.1. 
    i've not upgraded to Big Sur because I was afraid my Photoshop might not work… And now it's asking for a Monterey upgrade… Which I'm afraid to do.
  • Will it stop working and if so are there workarounds to get my older photo shop to work on an upgraded IMac?
  • thank you much
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Terry23794671d96p wrote:

Will it stop working ?

Yes, it will stop working. Catalina and higher do not support 32-bit software. To use CS5 you need to keep the same hardware and macOS. Make backups, as computers do not last forever.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-monterey.html

"Are legacy/perpetual versions of Photoshop, compatible with macOS Monterey?"

"No, legacy/perpetual versions of Photoshop were not designed or tested to work on macOS 12.0 (Monterey). They are not supported in any way for use on macOS Monterey."

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terry Hertz
11:52 AM (39 minutes ago)
Thank you very much I am wondering...will a day come, when I might be
'forced' to upgrade from my High Sierra? Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will a day come, when I might be'forced' to upgrade from my High Sierra?

That's inevitable. It'll probably happen when your hard drive fails or you have some other hardware issue.

Provided you can run a system with nothing later than the OSX Mojave operating system then you can keep running CS5.1. Any operating system after that (Catalina and later) will not run CS5.1.

One other option available to you is to dual boot with CS5.1 running on Mojave on an external hard drive.

Other than that, new Macs (particularly M1s) will require an Adobe Cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!
MUCH appreciated.
Since 'we' think my PShop CS5.1 will still work, if I were to upgrade from Hi Sierra to Mohave...I would value your opinion, if there is enough 'good', to even make that worthwhile, for me.
Appreciate your time and wisdom
terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I were to upgrade from Hi Sierra to Mohave.

Did I miss that you asked about Mojave before Terry? If so, I apologize. I thought you had only mentioned Monterey (macOS12) and Big Sur (macOS11) and that I had answered that CS5 won't run on Catalina (macOS10.15) and higher. 

Mojave is macOS 10.14 and therefore is fine.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
if I were to upgrade from Hi Sierra to Mohave

Is your Mac offering an upgrade to Mojave (mentioned in your latest post) or Monterey (mentioned in your first post)?

Mojave (a superseded operating system released in 2018) is the last operating system on which you can install and run CS5.1. You're unlikely to see any improvement in upgrading from High Sierra to Mojave and it won't change how you use CS5.1.

Monterey is the current Mac operating system. You cannot install CS5.1 on Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...will a day come, when I might be 'forced' to upgrade from my High Sierra? 

You might be OK for as many years as you keep using your current Mac. But the day you decide you want a new Mac, or if your current Mac stops working, that is when you can’t stay on an older version of macOS, because the latest Macs run only macOS 12 or later. If you buy a new Mac, you can’t continue using Photoshop CS5, because neither it nor High Sierra runs on it.

If your current Mac dies, the only way to keep using High Sierra and Photoshop CS5 is to buy a used Mac old enough to run them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines