• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashes when trying to print

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop (CC version 19.1.4) will stop instantly when I try to print. The printer is the Epson Et-2650. I installed it a couple of times again. The printer works well with other programs. Can anybody help what to do?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Hey I had the same problem.  I found this on an Adobe forum and it worked for me.

I would save my custom keyboard commands and macros first.

Found the solution.

The crash is due to a corrupted preferences file in Photoshop.

You can either uninstall PS including your preferences or you can make PS recreate a new preferences file.

This can be done by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift immediately after starting PS.A pop up window wil appear asking you whether you want to recreate your preferences file. Click Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

I realized that I had my printer, Epson XP-225, installed twice on my Windows 10 system. That is once installed through Windows system itself and once with a software from Epson. After I uninstalled one of them (the Epson software one) Photoshop started printing again without crashing. Just thought I might share that with you all in case it helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sannal,

We're sorry to hear about Photoshop crashing when you try to print something, could you please let us know what operating system you're working on?

Could you please try pressing and holding the Space key on the keyboard when you hit File > Print in Photoshop and let us know how it goes?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS version are you using?

What printer make and model?

Also, could you try rolling back the printer driver to a previous version and see if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Epson Et-2650, Windows 10

No, unfortunately I cant go back previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most of the cases Photoshop crashes on the print command if there is a conflict in the printer drivers, could you try reinstalling the printer drivers and see if that helps?

If that doesn't work, then please check if there is an update available for the printer drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix preferences file getting corrupted!  second time in 2 weeks.  Lose all my custom settings and have to remember how I liked things set up.  Windows 10-home 64 bit desktop.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working a freelance gig using Windows and consistently have PRINT->Crash issues.  My IT Dept has gone through correcting the preference file, resetting preferences and updating printer drivers.   Still works a couple days then starts crashing again.  I cannot even attribute it to a specific printer, as I go to FILE->PRINT it just pauses and crashes...  This issue is almost a year old... any solutions??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I had the same problem.  I found this on an Adobe forum and it worked for me.

I would save my custom keyboard commands and macros first.

Found the solution.

The crash is due to a corrupted preferences file in Photoshop.

You can either uninstall PS including your preferences or you can make PS recreate a new preferences file.

This can be done by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift immediately after starting PS.A pop up window wil appear asking you whether you want to recreate your preferences file. Click Yes and problem solved.

Curiously PS seems to have this issue since the 2015 version....

Go figure....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate, that worked fine for me and I was getting frustrated!

Only difference was it asked if I wanted to remove/delete settings rather than change preferences, so I  was a bit worried that I lose all my actions and other  personalised settings, but nope, It worked just fine. Only thing I "lost" was history at the front home page, smallest problem :-).

Thanks again Bjorn!

PS, none of suggested things by "staff" worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, it just stqarted happening today.  When I hit ctrl-alt-del it brings up the scratch disk options only.  I've got PS 18, 19 and 20.  2020 is the only version I can get a popup box.  Win10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bjorn - that worked perfectly for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bjorn.  Your solution helped me as well after several hours trying to fix it by updating drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 🙂 I currently use an HP Envy 5642 printer but recently bought an Epson 7820 wide format printer for bigger work. Finally realized that anytime I'd print anything using the Epson and then go back and open a file I've used with the HP to print again on the HP, PS would quit soon after I hit CTRL+P. Resetting the pref file worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bjorn,

Will this method lead me to lose any export settings? Since I made a lot of changes I cant remember to solve a low quality export and I also don't know what exactly helped and I would fear not being able to do it again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeh Ctrl+Alt+Shift works, thank you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't get Ctrl+Alt+Shift to work for me. I tried it right after starting PS but it either no longer works or my timing is off.
Regardless, I pressed Ctrl+K to access the preferences. From there I clicked "Reset Preferences On Quit". After I restarted the problem was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl+Alt+Shift didn't work for me either, Crt+K worked thank you from South Africa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the "reset preferences on exit" on V. 25.0.0 and it worked. Thank you for the suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bjorn that worked for me, only differece asked to delete setting said yes and hey presto, thanks again genius.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my second time in several years with this same problem.  I resolved the first time but no longer remember how. .

Now I just purchased the Epson XT-8550 and installed new drivers from the website and not the CD enclosed (another issue altogether). I do not have Wi-Fi where I live and have to use my iPhone hotspot, which is slow. I had troubles installing, but thought I had it and did print a few pictures from Photoshop. But I always got the message after a long pause that it was searching for the printer but eventually did print. But I noticed I didn't have any printer profiles to select from in my drop-down list, which seemed strange.

I have to connect using USB. Yes, tried different cables using different USB ports.  I am working with windows 10 on a 64 system. Turns out the computer wasn't recognizing my printer so I deleted in control panel and reinstalled successfully.

That's when Photoshop did it's crashing .  I checked and saw that I needed to update Photoshop, which I did.  I checked to make sure that I did not have two drivers installed and I didn't. Then I took your advice to reset all my preferences when I realized the update didn't fix my problem.

I was ready to do a happy dance when it printed my first large print. I then decided to print a second picture within 10 minutes of the first and Photoshop started crashing again.

Just to make this more complicated, I sometimes use PSD images where I work in layers with different pictures. Trust me, there's a logic to why I do this. I make the image I want to print visible, and then print it. I switch to another image making it visible, and because I am using all the same settings to print I just have to select print one copy. I thought this might have been the reason that photoshop locked up so I flattened each image and made it a JPEG, two completely separate images and try it again. Still crashed. Does anyone have any other great ideas? I would much appreciate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a hassle i have delt with off an on for over 3 years now. I had to learn to make the habit Ctrl+S before Ctrl+P . This doesn't happen to me at home. only at work where we have 2 similar Kyocera and 3 similar brother printers on the network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Constance356959375ipi 

take a look at the following article and check if that helps: 
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/printing-color-management-photoshop1.html

You may like to re-install the printer drivers to check if that makes a difference?

Here is some general Adobe [Mac and Win] info on printing problems,
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-printing-problems.html
Simple reset: hold the space bar when you open the print window. It resets the print dialogs

- - - - - - - -
If that doesn’t help -
Here is some troubleshooting advice:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
Help others by clicking "Correct Answer" if the question is answered.
Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was back in 2008 and your still having the same issues adobe! I have lost hours of work and I am beyond frustrated! I have tried all the troubleshooting suggested and have gotten no where! Windows 10...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to bjorn63148516 - it stated delete settings for me but I did and it works fine now...thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines