• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't open images in Windows 10 -Permissions? Compatibility? Administrator?

New Here ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 24.4.1 
I didn't update anything manually but something may have changed with an auto-update.
PS opens.
I cannot import an image using Open.
I cannot drag and drop an image.
Occasionally I can right-click and 'Open With'.
Camera Raw doesn't open from Filters. 
I set run as administrator and restarted. 
I uninstalled and reinstalled no change. 
I tried other options and still get "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" 
Any help is appreciated. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious can you meet system requirements https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for assisting. Yes, I meet system requirement. I have been using it a while and logged in to this challenge only this weekend. I suspect somethign auto-updated and changed some permissions somewhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you logged in to your system as an Admintrator or an user with Admin rights?

Please try to disable the option to "Use Graphics Procesor" from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

If it helps, you can check out the steps suggested here:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps described here:

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

Please backup your settings before resetting the preferences. You can check:

Migrate presets, actions, and settings (adobe.com)

Another try it to turning on the option »Deactivate Native Canvas« (Photoshop > Preferences > Technology Previews) and restarting Photoshop.

Check the option in Preferences > Technology Previews > Older GPU mode (Pre 2016) if you have older graphics card. Restart Photoshop for changes to take effect.

I uninstalled and reinstalled no change.

By @njstevenson

Do you have done a clean installation? If no, I would suggest a complete and clean reinstallation.

Please follow the steps below:

if you're unable to install the cc desktop app at this stage, use an administrator account (solution 4 here, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html)

If this all doesn't help ypu can try to create a new local Admin account and try Photoshop with this account.

Adobe troubleshooting: Creating an admin account in Windows  

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is very helpful. I did remove all PS and Creative Cloud with preferences and plugins... but will try again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps I've taken while logged in as Administrator:  
Uninstalled Photoshop and Creative Cloud removing preferences and plugins. 
Reinstalled CC and PS 
Unchecked Graphics Processor and relaunched Photoshop 
Although Microsoft says it won't auto-update I feel as though my system updated to 11 Home without prompting, could that cause an issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange. Maybe you can post your Photoshop system info. In Photoshop goto Help > System Info and hit the copy button. Then paste the entire informations into this thread

Although Microsoft says it won't auto-update I feel as though my system updated to 11 Home without prompting, could that cause an issue? 

By @njstevenson

As far as I know there's no automatic update from Windows 10 to Windows 11. 

But, all recent CC apps are compatible with Windows 11

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe has announced the release of Photoshop 24.5. This update includes the fix for this issue.

To install Photoshop to 24.5, click on "Update" in the Creative Cloud Desktop app next to Photoshop. Update apps to the latest release of Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines