• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photshop CC tools stop working

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop CC tools randomly stop working. They seem to cutout and it happens constantly. Its very annoying. This only seems to happen with photoshop. I'm most often using the BRUSH or the LASSO. They just cut out. The only remedy I've found is to add a new layer and use the tool until it becomes responsive again, which. take a bout 15-20 seconds. I don't think it's a hardware issue as I'm running a brand new 27" Imac with 32 GB of RAM.

Any idea whats going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to make them notice that this is a long-term issue for many? I've been experiencing this trash for the last month, nothing helps:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For god's sake. ADOBE, do something about this annoying issue? How are we supposed to work with your products if we have to restart them every 5 minutes????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone knows why is this happening? it's 2021 now this happens to my computer and not on my laptop adobe works fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program is still considered 'responsive' and it is not frozen, as I'm still able to save and quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, the program is not frozen and I can save and quit as well. There is no loss of any work, but it's really annoying as it breaks your momentum.

I also noticed that when you have several windows opened at once (with a side to side layout at least), this bug only affects one document and not the other. I even managed (I don't know how), after rearranging my windows, I was able to select and use my tools again, without having to close/reopen PS.

So it's a weird bug, not easy to clearly define. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing identical symptoms, don't have the answer but am commenting for visibility. This is very frustrating, and wasn't happening in previous versions of photoshop for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ADOBE!! This has been happening to me since Christmas and is driving me crazy. Sometimes I can only work on a file for a minute or two before I have to save and reopen my file. Other files which are open are initially unaffected and it is always the move tool which causes other tools to stop working.

Initally I thought it was a Wacom issue but it isnt. I've worked on thousands of files since the problem first arose and I find myself accepting that this is now just the way Photoshop works. 

PS 22.3.1

Imac 2017 Big Sur

32gb ram

Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe support has this fix:

Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > untick Graphics Processor. 

I've found that using PS has become less smoth ( when using tools and moving aroung the image ) but this has solved the issue with tools not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poblem solved. Had same issue, its to do with the update and our graphics cards. Temp fix till there is an update, go into your Photoshop Preferences > Performace > Graphics Processor settings > And untick "Use Graphics Processor". Closed photoshop and re-opened it and this sloved it for me. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. This is the equivalent of saying: "my finger itches for quite some time... so I cut my arm! Problem solved."
Maybe you are ok about losing one arm in the battle, but most of us don't want to disable hardware accelaration and the performances and ergonomical features that come with it.
So it's not really cool to start your post with "problem solved", when all you did is just used the poorest workaround ever.

This problem is still very much present (and extremely annoying).

It does look like a bug in Photoshop's code.

Nobody at Adobe seem to really care about.

That's all we know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was advised by Adobe support to untick ' Use Graphics Processor' and while this is far from ideal it has been much better than having to keep closing files every few minutes. The suggestion is extremely helpful and I'm not sure why you have taken issue with the person who posted this workaround - they did say that this is a temporary fix and the responsibilty is with Adobe to address the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't taken issue with A.B5EA7 especially. I'm not a conflict maker or whatever. It's just that this isn't a fix at all. And I haven't read that Adobe support gave you the same "solution", but this is a real shame. OK, they said it's a temporary fix... Let's wait and see. But i'll definitely not untick this box.

Really, the pan and zoom controls don't bother you ? (for an obvious example of what is lost when you don't use the GPU)  

Aren't you tired of all these companies not trying to fix issues but instead just tell you how to get rid of the features so you don't have the bug anymore ? (because it's quicker and easier than do some proper work to fix the thing).

Anyway, if going back 20 years in time is okay for both of you. Then I'm really happy for you, guys. But this is not the definition of "solving a problem".

Do you get what I mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured this out yet? I've pretty much done every suggested "fix" I could posibly find. I'm on Windows 10 with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti. I've also tried updating the gpu driver...didn't help.

When I use same version of PS 2021 on my iMac I have no problems. My iMac is 2015. This has got to be a graphics card problem. Unticking "Use Graphics Processor" doesn't help so of course I will keep that on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It not a huge fix for I still have the work field freeze but not as often. I run 32gigs of ram dual channel on PC. Going into Edit > Preferences > Performance  I have tuned down the ram useage to 40% on my PC. It has helped even if it is not in ideal range I rather be able to still be able to listen to music and talk to people on discord when using PS for simple work.

I still think this issue is cause they have a very crappy way to make the program use what resources a PC has. If you dont know this is there and only run so much in memory PS will eat it up worse then Chrome. And thats saying something. 

BTW grats on the 3060 TI. I run a Strix 2080 Super so this may help ya. Im also on the latest driver for Nvidia myself so see if cutting its ram useage down will help. Im pretty sure thats what is doing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I experienced these last weeks/months, I try to apply these two principles and mostly it prevents any frustration :

1. Open two documents at once and display them in a two columns way... It can be quite annoying so I know it's not a good answer for everyone, but the thing is: when I work on my main document and I have this issue where the brush and most tools cease to work, I can save+close the document and reopen it immediately. I don't have to close Photoshop (if you have only your working document opened and displayed, you would have to close/reopen Photoshop). So this second active window works as a "safety rope".
  2. When panning through your image (space + move your stylus/mouse), there is inertia at the end of the movement (when you use the GPU). I noticed that when I started painting while this movement was not finished I had a lot more occurences of this bug. So I focus hard on trying not to go too fast and giving more time to these fancy Photoshop/GPU actions. ... It's not a 100% solution though, but this in addition with the first point (when possible) made my life way easier.

I hope it can be usefull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is extremely frustrating, especially as Adobe are aware of the problem. Photoshop 2021 works fine on my old 2012 Macbook but not on my 2017 iMac which is the machine I use for my retouching. Come on Adobe, this has been going on for around 7 months with no fix - please sort it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution gave me an idea of going to Windows>Arrange>New windows for "yourfilename" It creates a window of the same file but you can work on it. I keep moving from new Window to new window every time it froze.

This is the most frustrating Bug I've ever encounter in PS in 20 years I use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! This works! Thank you! But how does it affect performance Thanks, again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so sick of ADobe. Going back to CS6. The last time one of there stupid programs worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem, I'm using the path tool and all is fine until it freezes then I have to save, close and re-open. It is wasting an awful lot of time. It's staggering to look back on how long this has been an issue - it's October 2021 and still no fix! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ran into this issue for the first time.  By turning off the GPU usage, the rotation tool cannot be used as it depends on GL accelearation- you will get an error.  Without that rotation tool, one of our designers is out of action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem, and it being 2021 now, it seems Adobe doesnt have much interest in solving it.

I noticed it would only happen for me if I was drawing quickly, while also panning with the hand tool (space bar).

I figured out that it would only happen when I began to draw again before the pan finished its move.

So a simple solution (while not ideal) is to turn off 'Flick Panning'. That way the image stops moving the instant you finish panning, and theres no chance you'll draw (or edit or whatever) while the image is in motion. Edit>Preferences>Tools>[uncheck] Enable Flick Panning.

The issue hasnt happened to me again since I turned this off.

Not ideal becasue I like flick panning, but I'd much rather lose that than have to turn off  my Graphics Processor entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe again about this problem ( a year after first posting about this nothing has changed ).  The guy at Adobe wanted to take control over my computer to source the issue but I wasnt happy for that happen. He then suggested I gave extra security permissions to Photoshop ( which I did temporarily ) but to no effect. Unchecking 'flick panning' is a new potential workaround, thanks for posting this suggestion. I have done as you suggested and will feed back on how it goes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your post Richard, disabling flick panning has transformed my Photoshop experience. It's so frustrating that such a prolonged problem has such a simple fix! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines