May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

PNG.png

In my workflow above, is PNG-24 OK?

There are unfamiliar options in PNG-8.

Hosun

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 4.46.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-25 at 4.47.33 AM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Hi

PNG24 is 8 bits per channel and has three channels - red, green and blue. So that is the right option for a full colour image and gives a possible 256 x 256 x 256 = 16.7 million colours.

PNG8 has only 8 bits which means 256 values. It uses each value to represent one of 256 colours stored in a table. Hence the term index color. Whilst it is efficient on space, it cannot represent the full range of values that an 8 bit per channel image can hold.

So use PNG24.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

If all depends on your image.

PNG-24 produces larger filesize and can support 16 million colors.  Best for photos, gradients and more complex images.

PNG-8 produces smaller filesize, but supports only 256 colors.  It might be OK for simple drawings that contain no gradients & few colors.

Does that help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

You appear to be placing text. I would use Photoshop for images only and take them into InDesign where I would add the text. Then export in the format you require for your e-book.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

PNG24 is 8 bits per channel and has three channels - red, green and blue. So that is the right option for a full colour image and gives a possible 256 x 256 x 256 = 16.7 million colours.

PNG8 has only 8 bits which means 256 values. It uses each value to represent one of 256 colours stored in a table. Hence the term index color. Whilst it is efficient on space, it cannot represent the full range of values that an 8 bit per channel image can hold.

So use PNG24.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all depends on your image.

PNG-24 produces larger filesize and can support 16 million colors.  Best for photos, gradients and more complex images.

PNG-8 produces smaller filesize, but supports only 256 colors.  It might be OK for simple drawings that contain no gradients & few colors.

Does that help you?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason you are going from AI to PS to PNG and not directly from AI to PNG?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option 1.

Ai -> png

Option 2.

Ai -> Ps -> png

In my current situation, png from Option 2 gives a better quality.

Hosun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I catiously think it might be related with rasterization.

Hosun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open vector files in Photoshop, they too are rasterized.

Try it both ways.  Open both PNGs in your browser to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I place them on Pages, I see some difference.

Hosun

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 1.21.05 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You appear to be placing text. I would use Photoshop for images only and take them into InDesign where I would add the text. Then export in the format you require for your e-book.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, I am making a draft on Pages. Then, I plan to make it on Id.

I want to learn more about Pages in this opportunity.

Hosun

PNG-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reinterate what's been said, images of TEXT are not user-friendly for vision impaired users.  You must not use this approach in eBooks.

Consult your eBook publisher's guidelines. This is essential.

For example, Amazon's Kindle Direct Publish (KDP) Guidelines.

https://kdp.amazon.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About two years ago, I published an eBook to Apple Books with Id (EPUB).

It was a fixed-layout format.

This second project is a reflowable format. 

I am not sure what would happen ahead.

So, I want to make the draft complete on Pages and make EPUB as close to the draft as possible on Id.

That is what I am thinking of.

Hosun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Deleted User wrote:

About two years ago, I published an eBook to Apple Books with Id (EPUB).

It was a fixed-layout format. This second project is a reflowable format. 

Fixed layout epubs (FXL) write the CSS code to position each letter. If you put text on a curved path in InDesign, each letter will be in exactly the same place in the fixed layout epub. Flowable epubs will flow differently depending on the user's choice for typeface, typesize, and more.

You never want text to be in an image in the epub. It's not text anymore.

Have you watched Anne-Marie's tutorials yet? 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would modify graphics on Id.

Hosun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screen shot @Deleted User . An e-book is generic for any type of electronic book, including PDF, MOBI, and EPUB. You didn't say which you will be using or who the audience will be.

Dave is correct that you should used InDesign for the text for several reasons:

• With any of these types of electronic books, live text should be searchable. "Text" that is actually an image is not searchable.
  • Live text is accessible for folks who use screen readers. If you have readers in the U.S., you may need to meet the requirements for Section 508. Even if it's not required, it's the right thing to do.
  • If you are creating a flowable epub, it won't flow across pages unless the text is live.
  • If you are creating a flowable epub, InDesign has the tools to write the correct CSS needed for the EPUB as part of the Paragraph and Character styles.
  • If you with converting from epub to mobi, it may be rejected by Kindle for not having live text

If this is your first electronic book, I highly recommend that you watch InDesign to EPUB by Anne-Marie Concepción on LinkedIn Learning. If you haven't subscribed before, you can get a free trial. It will save you time (and money) to do things correctly from the beginning instead of waiting until the end and finding out you've done it wrong.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines