• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pointillize with custom shape

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the pointillism tool on Photoshop. I was wondering if there was any way of changing the default point thats automatically used, to another shape. I want to create an a pointillist image, but using small stars or hands, instead of using the default dot, but I didnt see any way to do this 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know the answer is No. There isn't any hidden option in preferences for such change of Pointilize filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can spend a ton of time and write scripts that sample a reference image and place a variety of different shapes based on the color of the reference image.

Script talk-002.jpeg

Script talk-035.jpeg

Script talk-032.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did a lot of work with the Scripted Fills, didn't you? I did some quick playing around with the random fill and various blending modes, but there's so many combinations, and I didn't find one that worked just right.

I had never looked at the Pointilize filter in detail before. The results sort of remind me of a Ishahara color blindness test without variation in the size of the dots.With a larger cell size, you can get a good idea of what it does:

Semaphoric_0-1649953010338.png

This is from a solid gray:

Semaphoric_0-1649954478516.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I did a lot with the s ripted fills. Lots of possibilities there, but I'm finding just normal scripts sampling a reference image gives me more options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something you could try.

Make a new layer below your primary image layer, and clip the image layer to it (right click the image layer and chose Create clipping mask. The image will disapear

Paint a texture into the empy layer using black, and the image will start to appear wherever there is a solid tone in the Texture layer

image.png

What I did is use the Brush search tool and looked for Spatter presets.

The search tool only looks at groups that are in the main window, but the free Kyle Mega Pack is a safe bet with its 700 plus presets

image.png

This will give you the shapes you need, and you can add more effects to it. Bevel & emboss would work well giving you an impasto 3D look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the time one is willing to put into it the Art History Brush Tool might also be an option. 

Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 09.24.07.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines