• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Polygonal lasso tool missing in Photoshop CC ?

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the polygonal lasso tool. Lasso tool icon seem not have that small triangle in right down corner to toggle between the lassotool and the polygonal lasso tool. The magnetic lasso tool can be found easily. Is there something missing in my Photoshop?

I'm using Win7 Pro and the lastest Photoshop CC, installed couple of weeks ago. ​

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Hi paulas,

This could be due to edit toolbar option.

Go to Edit menu > toolbar > restore defaults > click on OK to restore the default tools.

Regards

Chetna

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which workspace are you using? All lasso tools are available in Essentials and Photograph, most in Painting (not magnetic lasso). In Graphics and Web you'll only find the normal Lasso tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi paulas,

This could be due to edit toolbar option.

Go to Edit menu > toolbar > restore defaults > click on OK to restore the default tools.

Regards

Chetna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no, that did not work. Lost  lasso tool and polygonal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have found the solution -- I think it can be done by holding down the <Shift> key and pressing the 'L' key until the proper tool icon appears.  It appears that there are 3 types of Lasso tools, but only one is displayed at a time and [ <Shift> + L ] rotates among those 3 types.  I found the answer through the link below:
Adobe Photoshop CC "Polygonal Lasso Tool" NSL WEEK 206 - YouTube

Daniel K. Stuntz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not that Paulas doesn't know the shortcut, but the tiny triangle in the lower right of the tool set is missing, meaning it is the only option and that there is nothing to switch to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

The problem is not that Paulas doesn't know the shortcut, but the tiny triangle in the lower right of the tool set is missing, meaning it is the only option and that there is nothing to switch to.

And that's apart from the fact that the previous last post to this thread was eight months ago, and that two of the posters have not visited this forum since.  But thank you anyway Daniel.

Incidentally, regarding using the Shift key to toggle between tools, some time ago, and after years of working that way because it was the default and everyone does it, I suddenly asked myself why, and could not think of a good answer?   So I turned it off and just tap the relevant key without the modifier now, and it is a whole lot faster.  Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pardon the confusion, but I thought the question was about why the tool appeared to be missing from the toolbar -- why it showed the standard lasso tool (free-hand) and/but not the polygonal (point-to-point) version.  I came here today because I had the same question myself, and was looking for an answer.  After not finding the answer here, I looked elsewhere, and found it.  I then came back here to share what I had found. 

Oh I get it now, I think I confused the "little triangle" that's by the lower-right corner of the tool's icon, rather than the polygon-shaped icon that's on the face of polygonal lasso's button icon.  Sorry about that.  Did [<shift> + 'L'] not work for Paula? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She's long gone, but safe to say, no corner triangle, no tool switch. Try the Shift method on the Zoom Tool to see what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Your solution worked perfectly for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP may be long gone, but this thread is still valuable.  Neither did shift+L (which I'm accustomed to after 20+ years)  work nor did the triangle appear.  For what idiotic reason would I want less options for the lasso tool, regardless of what "workspace" I'm in? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem (no available polygonal lasso tool, one of my mainstays), and I've tried (or tried to try) everything listed here. My biggest problem, in CC 2017, is that most of the options I've seen here don't exist in my Illustrator.

For example, the 3 little dots near the bottom of the tool palette? Not there (see image).

NoToolEdit.gif

So I need to go to the EDIT menu to fins TOOLS? Not in MY edit menu (see image again).

NoEditToolbar.gif

Edit preferences so I can use shift+L to change tools? No joy in the preferences window. Image again.

NoToolPreference.gif

Windows Tool/Default? I'm there.

Tools-Default.gif

Workspace ESSENTIALS? I'm there.

Essentials.gif

It's bad enough that I can't find my favorite tool, but it seems my version of Illustrator is different from everyone else's. I'm no serious power user, but I've been using Illustrator for more than 20 years, and I'm kinda falling out of of love.

Hmmm,,,one of the ways I've used illustrator to color "behind" a brush-and-ink black-and-transparent layer is to select the area with the polygonal lasso and save that are under "Select/Save Selection" to be recalled for later color changes (fills) without re-creating the selection area. I don't see that recall or restore option under "Select".

Just for reference, I'm running Illustrator on Windows 7. Is there any hope for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Go to the forums home and choose the Illustrator forum.

The members there are better able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy, do I have egg on my face. Sorry to have the wrong forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree. I don't mind Adobe continuing to add useless features that I'll never use, but why take away functionality like this? The polygonal lasso tool is popular and widely used. Hiding it under a series of menu clicks is completely ridiculous and incredibly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone out there whose Adobe subscription just updated to Illustration 2021 and had their toolbar menu changed from Advanced to Basic (and lost the lasso tool in the process), you can change it back by going to Window > Toolbars > Advanced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines