• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to get the Brush bigger than 5000px size?

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi people,

I'm working on a very big asset for a booth design and I'm using the standard smooth circle brush with zero hardness to color the artwork. I would need to get the brush  with an higher size than 5000 px.

Is there any way to sort this out?

Plug-in or some sort of hack is well accepted.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working 1:1 in size? If so you need to talk to your vendor and work in scale. 5000 px is the max allowed. There is no need to work so large at full scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artwork is 3 meters wide and 2.4 meters height. People will be very close to it and we are aiming to a very high quality artwork, so I would want to avoid to scale everything up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talk to your vendor. They can recommend proper scale for the original and enlarge properly based on your needs. I've never designed booth graphics 1:1. My vendor has equations based on how close the image will be viewed as to what scale I need to design my graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also 3 meters at 300 ppi/Hi resolution may exceed the maximum Photoshop canvas allowance of 30,000 px canvas. You wont be able to work in that scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, the 30,000 pixel limit applies to Photoshop Elements.  Photoshop allows up tp 300,000 x 300,000 pixel image size.  I dread to think what size the scratch file would be at that image size.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry typo on my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it out and the base image with no graphics is over 3 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no way you need 300 ppi for this.

Consider a standard computer monitor at 90 - 100 ppi. Do you see pixels? Does it not look sharp enough?

The 300 ppi number is widely misunderstood. Even for books and magazines to be viewed close up, it was never a minimum requirement. It is a theoretical upper limit, above which no further improvement is possible (based on a standard halftone screen frequency of 150 lines per inch). So instead of a theoretical maximum, it became misinterpreted as a practical minimum.

As you can see on a monitor, it can be perfectly crisp and sharp, for close inspection, well down to 100 or even less, depending on how close you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dag, I almost tagged you when I first saw this thread.  The idea of having Apple Retina type pixel density on a very large print it obviously crazy not sensible or required, but you are better at explaining that sort of thing.  It might be interesting to compare the pixel density of 4K TV displays.  IME, even when you get uncomfortably close to a 4K TV, the image is still essentially pin sharp. 

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed. My own rule of thumb is that if the image exceeds 20 000 pixels or so, for whatever purpose, you need to stop and think carefully about whether you really need that. Most likely you don't. 20 000 pixels is a random number, but roughly the boundary between atmosphere and outer space 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines