• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing from Ps & Lr

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have a problem with getting borderless printouts from my printer. I have installed my new Canon PIXMA G540 printer last week on Mac with Catalina OS. To print images the printer uses AirPrint technology and there are no dedicated drivers available for Mac system. It means IMHO that all printing parameters are defined within application I want to make printout. And it does work with Canon app like Easy Photo-Print Editor but Photoshop and Lightroom. Anybody can help me what can cause such situation and what I should care about? On the computer screen when defining print everything looks fine meaning paper size and no borders (for both LrC and PS) but there are always borders on the printout gotten.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

That is correct. When installing the printer with CANON_IJ utility 2 options are available: 1) Wi-Fi connetion, 2) USB connetion. When choosing: option 1) then printer available to connect is Canon G500 series through Bonjour and option 2)  printer available to connect is Canon G500 series through USB. That's all. Moreover, when you try to add the printer with USB connection in system preferences then theoritically you can choose the driver for the printer. But there is no Canon printer availabl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all parameters are stored in a preset (Print Template). Start from scratch, make a new one and configure every possible setting, including the Page Setup, save the template and try again; any better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done it several times already and no positive results. The most strange thing is that after first installation of the printer I was able to print A4 format w/o border. When switched to A5 format I could continue printing w/o border. But, when turned back to A4 format no more borderless printouts from LrC and Ps I was able to get. I've reinstalled printer, reset memory of my Mac even reinstalled the OS (the only thing I did not make was reinstalling LrC and Ps). Nothing does work and I do not know what to do now. It looks like the only possibility to me now to print bordeless is exporting images from Lr and Ps to JPEG and use Canon's Easy Photo-Print Editor. But this is not effective way to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try logging into a new account (you may need to make one); any difference? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thing I tried as well. Did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"To print images the printer uses AirPrint technology and there are no dedicated drivers available for Mac system "-

Is that really correct?

When installing a Mac printer (i.e. in System Preferences/ Printers and Scanners - under "use" can you not select the printer name - is "Airprint" the only option there?

Airprint has long been criticised because it provides a Gutenprint/GimpPrint driver which misses many of the features usually found in a printer manufacturers own driver? [it's easy to tell, are the manufacturer's actual paper names listed in "media" options. Not just gloss/ matte etc. - eg a Canon brand paper name like "Photo paper pro luster" 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. When installing the printer with CANON_IJ utility 2 options are available: 1) Wi-Fi connetion, 2) USB connetion. When choosing: option 1) then printer available to connect is Canon G500 series through Bonjour and option 2)  printer available to connect is Canon G500 series through USB. That's all. Moreover, when you try to add the printer with USB connection in system preferences then theoritically you can choose the driver for the printer. But there is no Canon printer available to choose from the list. You can find many other printers like EPSON, DELL, HP, Oki, Zebra but Canon. So, it means that printing on my printer is not possible with USB connection.

When choosing WiFi connection the only option to select is Safe AirPrint or AirPrint.  More and more I'm starting to ensure myself that tisi is problem withh Apple's AirPrint not Printer or Lr or Ps.  What assures me with it is that even from Apple apps like Keynote I'm not avle print borderless image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah OK, thanks, it would seem, then, that the Airprint driver can't do borderless, the workaround, then, is to print on oversize media and trim (a rolling guillotine/rotary paper cutter is the best solution here]. Wasteful, I know, but it does allow an very accurate trim - and "borderless" printing has issues - an image is usually slightly upsized to fill the paper, even if it was already the right size - also the machine has to overprint the edges and this basically (eventually) fills the printer reservoir (waste tank/s) with ink, pretty wasteful. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thx for your help. I set overprint to minimum when printing with Canon's 'Easy-PhotoPrint Editor' while it would be really huge waste of ink. This is the only app where I can print borderless, though. Overprint setup results with no reaction to prints from other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines