• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PROBLEM PREVIEWS DISPLAYED IN THE FINDER

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I have a problem that concerns the generation of previews of .psd files on MacOs Catalina and PS CC 2020 (a problem that I still had with the previous I know and the previous versions of PS on another computer): in practice, as you can see from the attached screen, previews are generated without taking into account the content of the whole image, but often taking random levels.
Here you can clearly see:
these are four environments, the first has a correctly generated preview, the other three have previews generated by levels or masks ... unpleasant when you have to look for an image by looking for it "on the fly" just by looking at its preview.
What could be the cause? In PS the "generate preview" option is activated and it is practically everything by default ... how could I try to solve?

Schermata 2020-02-04 alle 17.31.29.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

The macOS Preview sees the first Channel in some graphics file formats, revealing just the pixels within the white of the alpha channel (white reveals, black conseals).

Try adding a channel at the front of the Channels Stack in the Channels panel that's filled with white.  This should show your entire image as expected.

Add Channel in Front of Channel Stack and Fill with White-01-RGB-01.png

While I've experienced this with TIFF and Targa, I'm not sure that I've ever seen it happen with PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Preferences > File Handling, set "Maximize Compatability of PSDs and PSBs" to Always.

What this does is creates a composite thumbnail of all the layers for display in other software such as the Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply. But Photoshop is already set as you suggest...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trial out PSB Quicklook and see if it solves the problem. As a bonus you get PSB Thumbnails.

http://www.johnrellis.com/photoshop/psbquicklook.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works on Photoshop CC 21.2.0 (June 2020). Tks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you viewing the layered PSD documents with masks in Apple's "Preview" application?

Or simply by highlighting a fikle icon and clicking the spoacebar(quick-view)?

It could be that Apple "Preview" (or quick-view) is not capable of flattening PSD's to display properly and it may not use the pre created preview you mention which was requested in Photoshop's settings?

Does the preview in Adobe Bridge fail also?

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you viewing the layered PSD documents with masks in Apple's "Preview" application?

No, in Finder (column or icon view). Same problem with Pathfinder and Forklift.

Or simply by highlighting a fikle icon and clicking the spoacebar(quick-view)?

In this case, preview is correctly viewed

It could be that Apple "Preview" (or quick-view) is not capable of flattening PSD's to display properly and it may not use the pre created preview you mention which was requested in Photoshop's settings?

Maybe. The strange thing is that these "corrupt" previews are then also used by cataloging software (NeoFinder or Disk Catalog Maker, for example).

I can't understand why some previews are generated correctly and some don't...

Does the preview in Adobe Bridge fail also?

In Adobe Bridge preview is correctly viewed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have a problems with Finder thumbnails not generating properly, so I used cmd / on the Finder window to bring up a slider in the lower right side, then move the slider to the left until the thumbs became smaller, almost icons and then I'd let them rebuild and move the slider to the right to bring the thumbs back up.

Seems that problem went away sometime after Mojave, and never had to do that since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on finder preview now is ok. But in other application (Pathfinder, or Disk Catalog Maker, for instance), the preview are viewed "random" (some are correct, some not). How can solve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just work with the Finder. I can't help you with those products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The macOS Preview sees the first Channel in some graphics file formats, revealing just the pixels within the white of the alpha channel (white reveals, black conseals).

Try adding a channel at the front of the Channels Stack in the Channels panel that's filled with white.  This should show your entire image as expected.

Add Channel in Front of Channel Stack and Fill with White-01-RGB-01.png

While I've experienced this with TIFF and Targa, I'm not sure that I've ever seen it happen with PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Will try, thanks for the advice 🤗

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works, also on psd files...thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the solution for me. Thank you for this information! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This channel trick worked for me! I have to hand off flattened files to random clients, and some use preview only. I went through and deleted the extra channels I had made during retouching and preview handled them perfectly. I wish there was a way when you flatten to also flatten out the extra channels!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the file >> Save As >> Replace>> and its done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines