• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem saving and exporting

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for all imagery to be used online, I'm using "export as" rather than the legacy "save for the web" rather because the" save for the web" produces soft images compared to "export as".

When saving Photoshop changes the name to some numerical value. That it's not helpful.

Secondly every time in the process of using "export as" I have to adjust the settings - surely there's a way to save that to save time and labor.

Thirdly try to set up an action to use "export as" and that does not seem possible?

kglad_0-1674660414820.jpeg

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are user-to-user forums. i'm not an adobe employee and neither is anyone else that's posted in this thread, so far.  

i'm going to branch and move your last post to the photoshop forum where photoshop experts can offer help, and i'm going to edit your post to maximize the chance of getting help.  (and yes, you were successful in attaching your screenshot.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this "the Photoshop forum? With expert support/help? Thank you for getting me in the right place oh my gosh after more than 30 years of using this application things are getting very tricky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

taking about being paid are you with adobe ?

Neither @kglad nor I are marked as Adobe employees because we are not Adobe employees. 

As for the nameing in »Export As«: Could you please post a complete screenshot?

This one does not show the actual name of the active image or the target-folder-path. 

As for automating: »Export As« is not Scriptable (as far as I know), but which of its features cannot be replicated with »Save A Copy« or »Save for Web« (if necessary on image duplicates) and thus Scripted? 

And are you familiar with File > Generate > Image Assets? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The filename contains multiple dots (».«) – please replace them with underscores or hyphens (but not slashes) and see if this affects the naming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did removing the excess-periods from the filename resolve the naming-issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahh I found this , working w art board and image asset , https://pixelbakery.com/recipes/generate-assets-in-photoshop

very interesting work flow

... are the images save and optimized for web uses ? ie srgb color space and managed file size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sizes can be set in the names (see »Specify quality and size parameters« under

Generate image assets from layers - Adobe Supporthttps://helpx.adobe.com › photoshop › using › gener...

). 

A conversion to sRGB is not an option, as far as I can tell. 

What is the image’s current Color Space? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in high end photography , the workflow starts with process Capture One , exporting out to a High resolution, Jpg Color Space, Adobe RGB 1998  there I do the retouching on a calabrated Imac retina 27 in , Venturea OS,,, Save as a JPG at maximum Quality size 4617 × 6463 (excellent for printing), I have a number of out bound channels that I want to use the images for the require set sizes..IE Instagram , website, Facebook, so the art board looks like a genius solution.

For these online platforms it's always best to have these images in the color space of SRGB for viewing on devices and computers.

Also size and compression is critical, reducing the file sizes to 400 K. Often I'm dealing with quite a number of images that need to go through this process, so every automated and preset function is a great idea to save time and labor! Perhaps you could make some suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you apply jpg-compression to an image twice even before creating the web-published copies – that would seem less than ideal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very small loss and considering the size difference of going from 6463 to 1200 pixels on a long edge however to your point the compromising factors could be well underneath the hood undetected to the normal human eye and machine. To further your point yes, it would even be better to be at 16 bit color space as opposed to eight as well for maximum quality. I normally save that for the exceptional advertising projects as opposed to portraits and head shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allowing double Jpeg compression is s serious no-no TBH, even the resizing a Jpeg step is risky, because compression artifacts [from the initial Jpeg compression] are often revealed and then enhanced as it's compressed again on saving. I recommend you stay in tif or psd [or RAW] until its time to resize and save. Then save a master - make a copy, resize, sharpen and save - at this point it's OK to save as Jpeg BUT only if the file will not later be cropped or resized.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a number of Bridge, Photoshop, and Excel scripts (most of which I have written) to make my job easier. Having to write my own software extensions started as a PITA but I already had some programming experience and it makes my life SO much easier, I can't even imagine not having these tools.

Some of this is available with my published Utility Script Pack for Bridge, and I have other scripts available too. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mg817g9a9ymbasi/AADTmXUVxmFfM58bcyYE7yiwa?dl=0

There are also sites like https://www.ps-scripts.com, https://forums.creativeclouddeveloper.com/, and if you do a search, a forum member has a site with Photoshop script snippets. Also take a look at Image Processor Pro which can be a big time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrewsteinman214 

between what you found and @c.pfaffenbichler's suggestions, is your problem resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I find your starting assumption to be interesting. I am a product photographer and have tested various methods of saving finished files out and Save for Web doesn't product soft images, whatever that means. Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that struck me too, but I never got around to filing an official protest 😉

Different resampling algorithms will produce different results, but in both you can choose resampling method. Here's both (100% crops), using standard Bicubic. See any difference? I'm not telling which is which 😉

compare.png

In any case, resizing during export is quick-and-dirty. The optimal way is to resize first with the chosen resampling method, then sharpen for final output size. Then you can export - and then, what comes in is what comes out, whatever output module you use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I agree ,  as well resizing first , and in the old days I would sharpen, which I am trying out again.. made a action for this... I thought the bicubic auto in combo w the action on the export... I am dealing with portraits and I use the eyelash clarity and sharpness as a benchmark .... Thanks for sharing, I feel the bottom image is when I would choose of your examples. The both are pretty great good choice of image with lots of details of the cables and mechanical structures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@D Fosse  "The optimal way is to resize first with the chosen resampling method, then sharpen for final output size. "

totally agree

neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines