• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with leading in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with leading in Photoshop. When I set the value to "auto", the gap is very large. An example is shown in the picture below. This has been happening for a long time. The last update of the program did not change anything. How can I fix it?

interlinia.png

 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

In you paragraph Justification settings, Auto-Leading percentage is set to 500%. Change it to something smaller, like maybe 120% (or whatever works best in your context)

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 8.36.32 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Please try resetting the Type Tool with the Type Layer selected. 

Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 14.41.12.pngScreenshot 2021-07-13 at 14.41.22.pngScreenshot 2021-07-13 at 14.41.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In you paragraph Justification settings, Auto-Leading percentage is set to 500%. Change it to something smaller, like maybe 120% (or whatever works best in your context)

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 8.36.32 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange when I went into the style settings I see 120% ... Luckily resetting the typing tool helped. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not strange, the default (auto) leading is 120% of the font size selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that. I mean, it was weird that my settings were showing 120%, not 500%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try resetting the Type Tool with the Type Layer selected. 

Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 14.41.12.pngScreenshot 2021-07-13 at 14.41.22.pngScreenshot 2021-07-13 at 14.41.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It helped, thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SJRiegel is correct that "Auto" uses whatever percentage you have set and the default is 120%.

Another option, though, is to use a set amount. Gutenberg used typesize plus two, which is a good starting place — in your case with 24 pts for the typesize, you would start with 26 pts for the leading, then adjust as needed.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24pt on 26pt would be 2pt of leading, wouldn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Derek Cross wrote:

24pt on 26pt would be 2pt of leading, wouldn't it?

No. Leading is measured baseline to baseline, so 2 pts of leading by definition is only 2 pts.

C4C1A1E1-CF57-4619-8025-71AA492AEABD.jpeg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take a different view!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take a different view!

By @Derek Cross

Interesting perspective, Derek ! 😊

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/leading.html

janee_0-1626183390538.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously Indesign, Photoshop, … use the term as you indicate but as my native tongue is not english I checked for translations of »Zeilenabstand« (baseline-to-baseline) and »Durchschuß« (the additional space between lines) and the dictionary I used gives »leading« and »lead« for the second one … maybe there was some historic change of terminology? 

What do you call the empty space between lines or is there no commonly used term for that at current? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way I look at it – the traditional hand typesetting way – the size of the font is measured from the tallest ascender to the lowest descender, plus a little so the lines of type don't touch ascenders to defenders in solid text. This is the type size so, for example, a 12pt font is on a 12pt body (ascender to descender), 12/14 has, in this example, has 2pts of leading. The terminology in applications like InDesign and Photoshop include the leading, so they call it 14pt leading, but really it's 2pt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The type tool reset helped. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines