• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with opening image Adobe Camera Raw FILTER and Nik Collection Filter from Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I process my raw image in Lightroom Classic and then open image into Photoshop for further editing.  I crop, straighten, etc. in Photoshop.  Then if I want to apply a filter from the Nik Collection OR Adobe Camera Raw the image opens up without any Photoshop edits. The edited version does not show up,  I see my image as totally unedited.  It is hard to refine the edits already performed when they are not showing. However, I do the best I can and then open it back up in Photoshop. When I open it back in Photoshop my edited version is there.

This is a new issue. I use to open up the edited version to refine the image further in Nik OR ACR. What can I do to resolve this issue.  It makes everything more difficult when editing image.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Which one of the above was it?

If it's overlying adjustment layers, then the workaround is to flatten. This opens up a whole can of worms. Lightroom can do this, but only because it can apply the adjustments to a flattened composite layer that Photoshop inserts in the file. But that flattened composite is also what you get in return! If you go back to your original layered file in PS, there won't be any adjustments.

In other words - basically incompatible workflows.

I'd recommend you just

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LR edits are just instructions and do not affect the data until you render them (Export, Edit in Photoshop etc). Are you creating say a TIFF or JPEG from LR and then opening them in Photoshop? 

You should be able to move from LR to ACR (not ACR as a filter) and see the edits as both understand each other's parametric instructions of the raw. Have you tried using ACR to open the raw after an edit from LR? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you replying. I process my raw image in Lightroom Classic, then I "edit in Photoshop". I edit the image in Photoshop, crop, straighten, clone, etc.Then if I want to apply a Nik Collection filter I open the image from Photoshop into Nik. When the image opens in Nik it appears without any Photoshop edits. This is a recent issue. I want to view image as the edited version so I can continue to enhance the image.  If I blindly apply a Nik filter and go back into Photoshop the Nik filter appears on edited Photoshop version. It makes no sense. When I'm through in Photoshop I save image and it takes me back to Lightroom as a psd. image. My problem is I want to view the edited image in Nik.  Why does the unedited version appear, and how can I fix it.  Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you edit in Photoshop from LR, you do see the LR edits right? 

Then you apply edits in Photoshop, you Save the image right? So those edits (LR+Photoshop) are saved in that TIFF/PSD whatever. Now I don't use NIK but you say:  "I open the image from Photoshop into Nik" can you explain how that is being done? If you bypass this NIK step, if you edit in LR plus Photoshop, save, then go back into LR, do you see the saved image with the edits? At that point can you now use NIK from that image? And if so, does NIK apply the edit? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Nik is a plugin in Photoshop.  When I'm in Photoshop I go to "filters then Nik Collection filters" The image opens into Nik. The same scenario with Adobe Camera Raw Filter. I go to Filters then ACR filter to access "radial filter" within ACR.  Now whenever I perform either of these two actions in PS, the image opens up as the unedited version.   Why I can't figure it out.  Is there a setting in Preferences?   Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is also with ACR. If I want to apply a radial filter while I am in Photoshop after editing image, the unedited version also appears in ACR.???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One - if you have the crop tool set to not delete cropped pixels, the full uncropped image will appear in the ACR filter.

Two - the ACR filter will work on the layer you have active in the Layers panel. It does not work on the full composite data. So if you have adjustment layers above, these will not show up in the ACR filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you. My problem is resolved.  I appreciate your help.

On another note, do you have a workaround so that I can view the edited version when I want to apply a filter from  ACR  or the Nik collection?  Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one of the above was it?

If it's overlying adjustment layers, then the workaround is to flatten. This opens up a whole can of worms. Lightroom can do this, but only because it can apply the adjustments to a flattened composite layer that Photoshop inserts in the file. But that flattened composite is also what you get in return! If you go back to your original layered file in PS, there won't be any adjustments.

In other words - basically incompatible workflows.

I'd recommend you just accept the way it works. The ACR filter is a filter and it behaves like one. All filters will do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your first suggestion worked.

" delete cropped pixels" was unchecked.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines