• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Photoshop 2021 Type tool Alignment

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Photoshop oracle, I am needing help with the the paragraph alignment of the type tool. I am currently working on Photoshop 2021 v.22.2, on Mac OS Catalina v. 10.15.7 with a Graphics of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB.

The issue is when selecting the type tool and typing on a text layer; once text is typed and selecting paragraph alignment the alignment tool acts in reverse. Align right instead aligns left and vice versa. The centre alignment is also off centre from centre of image. Therefore, the alignment shift sees centre alignment half offscreen and when selecting align 'right' text almost shifts completely offscreen on the 'left'!?

I have checked Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphics Processor Settings hasn't greyed out.

Any help appreciated. I have attached a video example of issue.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can usually adjust the text alignment (left, centered and right) in the Paragraphs panel. If it's not working correctly try resetting the Photoshop preferences, which you can find under the General tab in Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply Derek, I have tried adjustments in paragraph panel seen in my video attachment. I have also reset photoshop preferences already. What else do you advise checking in Preferences?

I am a relative newcomer to Photoshop and have contacted Adobe technical support 3 times with no solution!  They said to come here as it's a 'how to' issue/problem to be advised by an Adobe professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways of placing text on a layer - just clicking and typing and, alternatively, drawing a text box and typing in the text. Have you tried both methods to see if that affects the alignment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, 

The alignment works with creating a text box. The click and type method still aligns reverse. Any particular reason for this? I'd still like to know why and if there's an actual fix for this.

I will use the text box method in the meantime. Thanks for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the move tools alignment is also playing up and a bit askew! Auto select is off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I'm creating text boxes for text that now I can't align with selected areas with the move tool option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think worked out now using text boxes I need to ensure text box constraints are tight around text. Super annoying with extra step. If the click and type worked properly would be much simpler workflow. Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is primarily a photo editing application, the text faculties are quite good, if you know how to use them, but if you want advanced text editing features use a desktop publishing application such as Adobe InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know indesign is better for layout. 
I'd just like to know how to change the alignment back as it is reversed (I never changed any settings); it shouldn't be like this if reset to default? This is a simple text edit. I just like to know how to correct adjust alignment for click & type in the future. Is this happening with anyone else? Reply 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've probably figured this out already, but in case you haven't:

I had the same problem, alignment options were grayed out. 

1. Go to the three dots and click there. Down at the bottom right you'll see the only non-grayed out option for "Align To". Select Align to canvas and that should be the fix you were looking for. If not, or that option is grayed out..

2. Select two layers and the option for align to selection will be the default, but now you should be able to click on the other option setting it to align to canvas and now it will operate like you and I expect it to! 

Saying you should do type stuff in InDesign is pretty erroneous and misleading. Last I checked you couldn't do rusty metallic text in InDesign. So, I hope that helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With the text asset selected, in the Type menu, select "Convert to Paragraph Text." Conversely, select "Convert to Point Text" to switch to Point Text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines