• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Remove the 8192px limit on Save for Web

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not allowed to save image with greater width than 8192px when saving for web. Seems like a silly arbitrary limit, imposed by Adobe. Please remove

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
111 Comments
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but your text description does not match your screenshots. Your screenshots show an image width of over 8192 pixels not 1920px

Save for Web was not designed to work with extreme pixel sizes and will scale down to limit the long side to 8192 pixels

Check your image width again

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey dave

My screenshots shows an width under 1920 (cause ps limited me) and the height of 8192! the question is why does it limits me to 34.16% ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Danny

Thanks for your answer!

I checked it now and in my case it's doesn't matter if i pick one or more slices, i'm still can't change the image size- it's still limits me

I don't know what is the reason cause everything worked fine the day before...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 8192 px is after the 34.16% scaling is applied not before

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Photoshop is assuming that your slice is wayyyy taller than 8192 (the limit), that's why your width can't go over the 34%. It's scalling it proportionally. So either your slice is in fact over the limit or something is causing Photoshop to think that. If you want you can delete all layers and share the document. I will be happy to check on my end if I find the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK i don't understand what is the problem? There's not supposed to be a problem with the height, man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and i don't know why it suddenly think so:(

this is a png that i export from XD, i'm adding the file link and i'll be happy if you can check it (again...everything worked fine with that file 2 days ago):

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/f4da3e33-9cdc-4d7c-764b-2c91618a86e4

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned, I will be happy to check the file if you want to share it. It's hard to troubleshoot without looking at the file. It took me a while until I figured what was happening to be a few days ago and I'm sure no forum reply would help me, because I wasn't aware of the issue of selecting all slices. So if you would like, just share it via WeTransfer and share the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Share the PSD itself, not the PNG. I would like to look at the slices.

Just flatten the image and share it. Keep the slices so I can try to export.

The PNG itself is 23967px tall, so something is happening for it to assume the whoel file and not the slices

I was doing the math and 8192 is indeed 34% of 23967 so something is happening there that maybe you're missing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my response was to dave... i write a new one for you with a link:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As i explained before this is an xd file that i export as PNG and just need to slice it... maybe you can try to slice it and see if it's limits you the same way?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file you linked measures 1920 x 23967 pixels.

Make sure you are only using the single selected slice /or crop area on export

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Danny

I'm adding the psd file with the sliced parts exactly as i save it before the problem began (save and download it successfully

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/40e69a65-e239-4c18-79ae-85904a5ceff2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the file. I was able to export without any issues.

I have 2 things to say:

1 - Your 7th slice is actually bigger than the limit. This didn't create any issue when exporting, but anyway, try to keep all your slices below the 8192 limit, just in case

2 - Have you actually tried to export the images and saw that they were resized? Or were you stuck on that window looking at the 34% issue? I'm saying this, because even though I saw the same values, I ignored them. Exported and everything was fine. Basically what I see here is Photoshop telling you that the full document is going over the limit, but it's not changing anything in the export process. You know what I mean? Try it again and just ignore that "issue". Export and see if your images are the size they are supposed to be.

Let me know what happened

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The slicing tool, in conjunction with Save for Web (legacy) was designed to slice an image so that it could be rebuilt on a webpage and clicking on different sections could lead to different actions. Hence the 8192 px size limit which is more than enough for that purpose.

To split a large image for use on different pages use the crop tool or split the image into separate layers and use export layers to files

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man! actually i have to "trick" ps, change to jpeg, press "done" and then enter again and change to png, kind of funny;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnaks! I recommend you to enter to the furom from the link i added and fint out what was the real problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did , and my comment on the design of Save for Web still stands

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The slice tool is super useful, more than the 2 options you mentioned. Also, still calling it "Save for Web" makes no sense. They should change that.

Let's say you have a layout for a website that contains 50 different pieces. If you use the slices, they will remain intact and you can just go Save For Web, and even if you have made changes, the slices are still the same. It exports all at the same time. If you use the crop as you suggested, you would have to do it manually, 50 times: select the area to crop > crop > save as > give it a new name > save > undo. Repeat the process 49 more times.

Using the layers, it's the same thing, you would have to keep merging sections and then bringing them back. For example, let's say I have Group 1 with images and Group 2 with text. Maybe one of those "slices" would be an image from Group 1 and one paragraph from Group 2. How would you use the layer export? You would have to merge them, to them "unmerge". Also, when you use the Export Layers to Files, it exports the whole canvas so let's say you have a canvas that's 100px by 100px. Even if you only have a space 5px square in the middle, it exports an image that's 100px by 100px. Not ideal.

So "Save for Web" and Slices are still the best option 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read my comments again. For slicing up an image into as many elements as you need to create a web page, slicing and save for web work well and the 8kpx limit is not an issue.

For creating multiple web pages which need to go beyond 8k then it is not the best tool and was not designed to be.

I doubt you will see further Save for Web features as it relies on old code and is not being developed further - hence the 'legacy' label in the export menu.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. If this needs to be a cap for non-sliced images, so be it. But for those of us who are slicing up, the final image would NOT be larger than 8192 and rather a collection of smaller images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quando for clicar em "Salvar...", clique na opção "configurações" e tire de "configuração padrão" e ponha em "personalizado" 🙂Captura de tela 2021-06-17 111152.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Support is NEVER helpful. Most times I think I know more about the software than they do. A waste of time EVERY TIME..

Votes

Translate

Translate