• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with colours after creating a CMYK file from an RGB file

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, wondering if someone can help me, I am out of my depth! 

I scanned in art work and made some art prints which I print as required at home. They are RGB files. They printed out fine.  I recently had some greetings cards made, I copied parts of my artwork in to a new file which I then converted to CMYK, as required by the card printing company. The cards came back from the print company looking good.

However....I've just discovered the original RGB art print files now look terrible, the colours are dull and way off.  Photos attached. I've checked the colour profiles, but can't see any obvious solution, I don't really know what I'm doing. I've managed to rescue one or two by extracting the relevant layer from my greeting card design and making a new art print file out of it, but it's not ideal from a DPI point of view. And it won't work for all of them.  Thanks in anticipation!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to watch your color profiles. It appears your second example is untagged (it doesn't have an embedded profile at all). If this was converted back from CMYK, you have lost a lot of color information, and what's left is undefined.

Always keep a master file in a known RGB color space, like e.g. Adobe RGB. Then save out copies as needed - like sRGB for web, or a CMYK profile to send out for print as requested.

There is no such thing as just "RGB" or "CMYK". Those are generic color models. Color spaces are sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto, US Web Coated (SWOP), ISO Coated (eci) and so on and so on. You need to keep track of them, you can't ignore it. Photoshop is built around this.

Your color settings should be left at defaults. The working space isn't important, that's just a fallback default. The embedded color profile will always override your color settings. That's what you need to watch:

notification_2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that's really helpful, I didn't know about embedded profiles. I am just looking in to that and trying to understand... is going to Edit -Assign Profile the right way to embed a profile? 

You say leave the Colour Settings at defaults - so is it ok if the Working Space profile that is in the Colour Settings does not match the assigned/embedded profile? Thanks for bearing with my ignorance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you zip and upload the RGB document that's causing you issues to something like Dropbox or similar so we can check it out?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it's really kind of you to offer to take a look. I think this link should work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8q2ry67r43h0rk/Thank%20You%20a4.psd?dl=0

Grateful for any insight you can offer which might help me get the colours back as they were!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, as D Fosse found, there is no embedded ICC profile. So how it appears is iffy depending on your color settings. When I assign Adobe RGB (1998) it looks good to me, saturated but this is subjective due to the nature of this image.

Go into Photoshop's Assign Profile command and try sRGB and Adobe RGB (1998) then assign the profile you visually prefer. Always work with tagged images!

For more info see:

See: http://digitaldog.net/files/PhotoshopColorSettings.mp4

Photoshop CC Color Settings and Assign/Convert to Profile video

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines