• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with colours shifting when saving .TIFF

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on a project in Photoshop creating some large panoramas, I'm running into issues with colours shifting when trying to save the two images for print.

When checking my folder to see if the files saved I noticed a colour shift in the file preview for the smaller image. (The larger image is too big to generate a preview). I opened the files back into photoshop to double check save settings, but the correct colours were displayed on opening. 

I've attempted opening them in different TIFF viewing programs to double check, most can't handle the file sizes. The ones that have worked show the files with the same colour shift as the preview in my folder. (I don't know if this is a file issue or software based). I'm concerned that if the printer uses software other than Photoshop, then my images will be printed with the colours shifted. 

I don't have much experience preparing for print, so I could be missing something obvious I haven't noticed or didn't understand. The images are different sizes, both over 2m wide and in 16bit CMYK, which I'm trying to save as .TIFF's.  (Files are roughly 2.3gb and 1.2gb when saved as .TIFF)

I'm using 'save as', selecting .TIFF and checking ICC Profile US Web Coated is ticked. On the TIFF options I've selected 'None' for compression, 'Interleaved', 'PC' for byte order and 'discard layers, save copy' for layer compression.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, let me know if more details are needed.

Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When checking my folder to see if the files saved I noticed a colour shift in the file preview for the smaller image. (The larger image is too big to generate a preview). I opened the files back into photoshop to double check save settings, but the correct colours were displayed on opening. 

I take it that you're using the File explorer to check your files. It is not color managed, and will not display correct colors. So just ignore the color shift.

Although the File explorer seems to know how to display a CMYK image, it does not convert the colors from the document profile to the monitor profile, which is what color managed applications like Photoshop do.

Most image viewers do not support CMYK, and some of them display wildly wrong colors.

TheFastStone image viewer (free for personal use) seems to get it right. Color management has to be enabled in Settings > CMS. Both checkboxes need to be checked.

You can also use Adobe Bridge, which comes with your Creative Cloud subscription.

Faststone-settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was just using file explorer to double check the files had saved to destination. I noticed the preview looked like it had a tint applied to it. I did wonder if it might be generating a rough/innacurate jpeg for the preview.

It was opening the file in different programs and still seeing the colour shift that had me worried. But I didn't consider those programs having issues with displaying CMYK.

I've tried another piece of software now, GIMP which appears to be .TIFF/CMYK compatible and shows the images with correct colours.

Thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why not Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore the previews, they are not necessarily color managed and tiny in size. CMYK, not even close. 

How do the images appear in color managed applications? They should match Photoshop's when viewed at the same zoom ratio, ideally 100% or greater. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Ok I'll ignore the preview. I've just downloaded GIMP editing software and the files opened correctly, matching the colours displayed in Photoshop.

So I assume there's nothing wrong with the files and it was just the way I was previewing and using various, unsuitable software outside of Photoshop to view the files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines