• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Select & Mask - How would you remove the background from this image?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just recently upgraded from PSE to CC and am trying to figure out the best way to remove backgrounds. I photograph a lot of fuzzy objects like yarn and would love a quick and reliable way to put them on a white background without losing the details of individual fibers at the edges of the selection. I've watched lots of tutorials and attempted a couple different approaches to making an accurate selection. For the photo below, I tried using the Select & Mask tool but even after refining the edge you'll see there is a greenish hue to the edges of the cutout where the background color seems to bleed through. I've also lost some of the tiny details around the edges. Any idea what I might be doing wrong, or how to improve? Your help is much appreciated 🙂

papaya select & mask 1.jpgpapaya select & mask 2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Hi

Try this  :

1. Use select and mask as you did

2. Use refine edge in select and mask to pick up the edge fibres

3. Output to a new layer with mask - but do not select Decontaminate colours

4. Create a new empty layer above you masked layer

5. Alt click on the border between the two, in the layers panel, so that a little down arrow appears. This means that when you paint on the layer it will only show where there are pixels on the layer below

6. Set the blending mode of this new layer to color

7. With

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try this  :

1. Use select and mask as you did

2. Use refine edge in select and mask to pick up the edge fibres

3. Output to a new layer with mask - but do not select Decontaminate colours

4. Create a new empty layer above you masked layer

5. Alt click on the border between the two, in the layers panel, so that a little down arrow appears. This means that when you paint on the layer it will only show where there are pixels on the layer below

6. Set the blending mode of this new layer to color

7. With a brush Alt Click on the material to pick up the red color and brush onto the new empty layer. Go all the way round. You will see the green contamination disappear

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternative Road
1- Find and duplicate the contrast color channel. I chose the RED channel in this study.
2- Using the Levels panel, I increased the contrast of the Black and White pixels. I tried not to lose details.
3- I painted the middle part of the fabric with a white brush.

Ekran Resmi 2017-08-17 00.05.05.png

Ekran Resmi 2017-08-17 00.04.42.png

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank you so much for your help, Dave! This method worked perfectly. So appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for sharing the work of finance id.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines