• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program Error message preventing opening files and editing smart object contents

New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a windows 10 pro 64bit desktop pc and Photoshop 23.3.2 (most up to date as of posting this).
The issue I am having is a program error message popping up as I am working on a .psd file (most often while using the pen tool) preventing me from editing it. I cannot create any vector shapes or paths with the pen tool nor edit the contents of smart objects. My first response when it first happened was to save the file and close photoshop. Upon restart of photoshop the "Program Error" message prevented me from opening the file at all.
I attempted all the solutions suggested by the article linked in the error message: I reset preferences, updated GPU drivers, disabled the use of GPU processing, I upgraded to the newest version of PS (This has kept happening throughout the last 3 or 4 updates) and uninstalled and reinstalled PS from scratch. All of those steps were also followed by a system restart. 
None of the solutions worked as the the files are still unopenable. The first times this happened I was able to open the files from a different pc, resave them and they would subsequently open on my system without the program error message appearing, but in the last few days whenever a program error occured it seemingly permanently corrupted the files as they also no longer open on the second machine (with a same Program Error popup appearing there as well). Not only that, but all files that were opened and saved during the same work session where a program error occured now are unopenable, resulting in the loss of two days of work so far.
I have really no idea what causes this error or how to avoid it as it does ot occur every day or after a set amount of active time in PS.
The last time it happened was right after I converted a number of grouped layers into a smart object, opned it to edit its contents and saved it thrgough "Save As" into a different folder (not in the temp file). After I did that I was no longer able to edit the contents of the smart object (due to program error message) or even transform it. In fact all the files I subsequewntly worked on are unopenable even though no program error occured while working on them.
I would appreciate any help in resolving this matter as it directly endagers my ability to work.
Thank you

System Specifications:
- CPU: Intel i7-11700k
- GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
- RAM: 64GB DDR4
- Main disk where photoshop is installed and work files are located is a pair of  m.2 1TB SSD in RAID 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Tamasenco Hellas, sorry this has happened, let's try a clean install and make sure we are at default.

Close Photoshop
Restart the computer
Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Photoshop
Restart the computer
Install Photoshop via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.
Restart the computer
LaunchPhotoshop
Wait 5 minutes... does the error persist?

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines